Kathryn E. Johnstone
Kathryn Johnstone is a member of the Firm’s Global Real Estate Practice Group in New York. Her primary focus is in commercial real estate transactions. Ms. Johnstone advises clients on legal matters relevant to commercial real estate projects, including acquisitions, development, financings, leasing and dispositions of commercial, industrial, warehouse, retail and hotel properties and vacant land. She has ample experience in commercial leasing, retail and office developments, and real estate finance, including lot option financing. She also has developed her practice on representation of clients in infrastructure projects and the energy and renewables industry.
Ms. Johnstone’s work has primarily involved commercial real estate transactions including real estate purchases and dispositions, leasing and real estate finance. She has experience managing the commercial real estate portfolios of national and global companies with locations throughout the US and around the world.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a US-based information technologies company in the initial separation of its business and two subsequent spins, involving the disposition of 900+, 700+ and 300+ sites worldwide.
- Represented a US-based telecommunications company in connection with leasing of its new 500,000 sq. ft. California headquarters.
- Representing a US-based pharmaceutical company in the development, construction and leasing of its 500,000 sq. ft. California campus.
- Represented an international premium school operator in the sale leaseback, leasing, and development of international K-12 schools in Illinois, Texas, Florida, and the District of Columbia.
- Representing US and international companies in the management of their global real estate portfolios.
- Representing a religious organization in the development of global, high value special construction projects.
- Represented the borrowers in a USD 425 million direct to capital markets securitized loan transaction secured by five luxury hotels located throughout the US and Mexico.
"Client Service All-Star," BTI Consulting 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Shedd Aquarium - Auxiliary Board Member
- New York~United States (2019)
- Illinois~United States (2005)
- Northwestern University School of Law (J.D.) (2005)
- Georgetown University (B.A.) (2001)