Adam Jeffrey is a special counsel in the Banking & Finance team of Baker McKenzie in Sydney.
Adam joined the firm in September 2017 from the banking and finance team at another leading global firm. He has also worked in Moscow for the banking and finance team of a Magic Circle firm, gaining valuable global experience.
Adam has over 17 years of experience acting for Australian and international corporate borrowers and financial institutions with a focus on general corporate finance, property finance and leveraged/acquisition finance. Adam also has experience in negotiating derivative arrangements and acting for issuers in the Australian and US debt capital markets.
He regularly advises borrowers and financiers in a wide range of local and cross-border financing matters across industry sectors.
Representative Legal Matters
Adam's recent experience (including in previous roles) includes the following:
- Acted for a multinational construction, property and infrastructure company in relation to:
- its corporate debt and bonding facilities (including in relation to subsequent amendments and establishment of a common provisions deed poll structure), including its AUD 3.3 billion syndicated cash advance and bank guarantee facility, AUD 375 million syndicated multicurrency bank guarantee facility, GBP 330 million syndicated cash advance facility, bilateral bonding facilities with various counterparties, its GBP 300 million guaranteed notes issue, its MTN program and subsequent issues, and its ISDA program;
- the funding arrangements for various of its wholesale unlisted property funds in connection with the establishment and subsequent refinancings of various of their bank debt facilities (including moving to a common provisions deed poll structure), MTN issues under existing MTN programs and property acquisition facilities;
- its AUD 670 million financing of a retirement village portfolio acquisition; and
- its AUD 1.1 billion cash advance and bonding facility for the acquisition of a large construction group.
- Acted for a multinational building and construction materials company in relation to:
- its key corporate financings, including its AUD 500 million syndicated facility agreement, USD 400 million syndicated facility agreement, USD 200 million USPP, the establishment of its Euro Medium Term Note Programme, the issue of USD 950 million guaranteed senior notes pursuant to Rule 144A and Regulation S under the U.S. Securities Act of 1933, and the establishment of its ISDA program;
- its USD 1.2bn syndicated bridge acquisition facilities in connection with its acquisition of a US-listed company;
- its USD 1bn and USD 400m syndicated bridge acquisition facilities in connection with its the acquisition of the remaining interest in its Australian and Asian joint venture; and
- the establishment of a joint venture in relation to certain of its assets.
- Acted for a number of large corporate borrowers in respect of the establishment and/or refinancing of their corporate debt facilities (including cash advance facilities, syndicated pre-export facilities and bilateral facilities with a number of financiers).
- Acted for Goldman Sachs in relation to its ISDA arrangements entered into with leading Australian integrated construction materials and lime producing group of companies.
- Acted for a multinational construction, property and infrastructure company in relation to its hedging arrangements with its relationship banks.
- Acted for a multinational building and construction materials company in relation to its hedging arrangements with its relationship banks.
- Acted for a Chinese bank in relation to a hedging arrangement with a conglomerate headquartered in Hong Kong.
- Acted for the Taiwanese subsidiary of a ‘big-4’ Australian bank in relation to the transfer of its existing hedging arrangements with its customers to another subsidiary.
- Acted for a Hong Kong company in relation to the hedging provisions in its US$70m senior secured financing and the hedging documentation to be entered into in connection with that facility.
- Acted for a Chinese multinational banking company in connection with its hedging arrangements with a US chartered trust company.
- Acted for a leading Australian property developer in relation to its AUD304m concurrent refinance of 4 properties in New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland with one existing and 2 new financiers.
- Acted for a global real estate investment and asset management firm in connection with the financing of a fund established to acquire interests in distressed property assets.
- Acted for a global real estate investment manager in connection with the acquisition of a Melbourne CBA property.
- Acted for an Australian property development and investment group in connection with the acquisition of a Brisbane CBD property.
- Acted for a global alternative investment management firm in relation to its initial AUD 49 million senior financing (with potential to upsize to AUD 200 million) provided to a leading capital solutions firm – which provides debt to real estate developers around Australia for land acquisition and construction.
- Acted for a corporate borrower on the refinancing of its AUD 180 million facility agreement in connection with the operation of its shopping centre.
- Acted for a multinational private equity, alternative asset management and financial services firm in connection with the loan facility provided by them to a large property developer in connection with the acquisition of three separate properties by that developer.
- Acted for an international financial institution in relation to the financing of the acquisition by a large Australian developer of the ‘Ribbon’ building in Darling Harbour.
- Acted for a national financial institution in relation to the facilities provided for the acquisition of the properties at 1 Shelley Street and 77 King Street. Acquisition Finance.
- Acted for a group of lenders in relation to various syndicated and bilateral facilities (AUD 900 million in aggregate) for the acquisition of a further stake in an Australian coal operation, and general corporate purposes.
- Acted for a private equity firm focused on turnaround investments n relation to its acquisition of a drilling business, including in relation to the equipment financing arrangements entered into by that business.
- Acted for a large American private equity investment firm in connection with a AUD 1.4 billion leveraged financing of its acquisition of an Australian department store business and a AUD 200 million acquisition of associated property assets, and the subsequent AUD 600 million IPO facility.
- Acted for a major food manufacturing business in connection with a AUD 3 billion leveraged financing of its successful takeover of a food manufacturer, marketer and distributor, and the subsequent AUD 1.4 billion IPO financing of that business.
Debt Capital Markets
- Acted for a leading Australian financial institution on:
- the issue of AUD 60 million fixed rate secured notes for an Australian issuer;
- the issue of AUD 35 million floating rate secured notes and AUD 45 million fixed rate secured notes by an Australian issuer; and
- the issue of AUD 100 million floating rate guarantee notes by an Australian issuer.
- Acted for E.Sun Commercial Bank, Sydney Branch on the establishment of its USDD 5 billion ECP/CD Programme.
- Acted for New South Wales Treasury Corporation on the updates of its USD 10 billion ECP Programme, USD 10 billion EMTN Programme and US MTN Programme.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of New South Wales - Member
- Asia Pacific Loan Market Association - Member
- Member, BakerBalance Committee
- Volunteer, Australian Centre for Disability Law
- New South Wales~Australia (2002)
- University of Western Australia (BA, LLB Asian Studies)