Alexander Jampel has been practicing law in Tokyo, Los Angeles and Honolulu for over 25 years and has extensive experience in real estate, real estate finance, M&A and other corporate transactions. Alexander is the co-head of the Tokyo Real Estate Group and is a member of the Firm's Asia Pacific Structured Real Estate Steering Committee.
Alexander is recognized as a Key Individual in the 2011-2018 editions of Chambers Asia-Pacific Guide for Real Estate, International: Japan, in the 2012-2019 editions of The Best Lawyers in Japan for Real Estate Law, and also the 2015-2019 editions of The Best Lawyers in Japan for Hospitality and Tourism Law, and in the 2016-2018 editions of The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, as a Leading Individual, Real Estate for Foreign Lawyers, International Firms and Joint Ventures.
He was born and raised in Tokyo, Japan and is fluent in Japanese.
Alexander's practice focuses on in-bound transactions utilizing GK-TK and TMK structures, as well as on outbound transactions. His practice includes real estate acquisitions, dispositions, financings, joint ventures, leasing and developments involving residential, commercial, retail and resort projects in Japan and the United States, as well as cross-border M&A and other corporate transactions for US and Japanese companies.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a Singapore Stock Exchange listed REIT on its acquisition of two hotels in Tokyo and the operating companies for both hotels.
- Acted for a global Italian apparel company in the sale-leaseback of its flagship retail store in Tokyo.
- Represented a global US mobile communication and personal computer company in the lease of its headquarters in Tokyo.
- Advised a New York Stock Exchange listed US apparel company on the leases of retail stores in Yokohama, Tokyo and Osaka.
- Advised an offshore real estate opportunity and core funds in a series of transactions in Japan, in the entrustment, acquisition and non-resource financing for the acquisition of a broad range of real estate throughout Japan including office buildings, high-rise condominium projects, shopping malls and multi-family residential facilities.
- Advised the Japanese owner on the sale of a major resort hotel in Guam.
- Advised a Tokyo Stock Exchange listed Japanese corporation on its equity investment and its subsidiary on its mezzanine loan participation in connection with a large scale mixed-used residential condominium development project in Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
- Acted for a Japanese bank in the financing of hotel, golf and ski resorts in California, Hawaii, Nevada, Washington and Guam.
- Represented Japanese investors in the sale of resort hotels in California and Hawaii, and the foreclosures of office and resort properties in Hawaii.
- Acted for a major Japanese airline in the sale of its catering business in Hawaii.
- Key Individual, Chambers Asia-Pacific Guide for Real Estate, International: Japan, 2011-2019
- Best Lawyers in Japan in the practice areas of: Real Estate Law, 2012-2019, and for Hospitality and Tourism Law, 2015-2019
- Leading Individual, Foreign Lawyers, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, Real Estate: International Firms and Joint Ventures, 2016-2018
- Sale Transaction of the Year, National Association of Industrialand Office Properties, Hawaii, 2002
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association (IPBA), Japan Committee - Director
- Urban Land Institute (ULI) Japan - Executive Committee and Council member
- US-Japan Council - Member
- State Bar of California - Member
- Hawaii State Bar Association - Member
- Daiichi Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- Japan (Attorney at Foreign Law)~Japan (2003)
- Hawaii~United States (1994)
- California~United States (1989)
- Loyola Law School (JD St. Thomas More Law Honor Society) (1989)
- University of California at Los Angeles (BA) (1984)