Bruce Jackson is a senior counsel in Baker McKenzie's San Francisco office.
Bruce has extensive experience in the litigation, arbitration and mediation of complex international business disputes, and substantial experience in commercial litigation, including jury trials and appeals in federal and state courts. Prior to joining the Firm, he served as a trial lawyer in the US Navy Judge Advocate General's Corps from 1968 to 1972, before joining Baker McKenzie in Washington, DC. He moved to the Firm's San Francisco office in 1981, serving as managing partner and head of the litigation department.
Bruce's practice involves complex business transactions, typically involving contract, fraud, antitrust, unfair competition, unfair business practice, breach of fiduciary duty/ERISA and related claims. He has worked on numerous domestic arbitration matters under the American Arbitration Association Rules. He has also handled proceedings in Paris, Zurich and London under the International Chamber of Commerce Rules, and in Stockholm under the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce Rules.
Bruce also regularly deals with the unique conflict of law, service of process, attachment, discovery and enforcement issues in multinational and cross-border disputes, including enforcement of international arbitral awards under the New York Convention.
Representative Legal Matters
- Secured complete vindication for a major Japanese construction company after an eight-week arbitration involving complex issues of breach of contract, fraud and wrongful conspiracy.
- Represented several national manufacturers in a landmark Proposition 65 lawsuit regarding labelling requirements for products containing a chemical listed by the State of California as known to cause cancer or reproductive toxicity.
- Successfully represented a major California internet company in an ICC Arbitration in Zurich involving USD 40 million breach of contract claims.
- Successfully represented a Kuwaiti investor regarding corporate control issues in an ICC arbitration in London.
- Successfully represented a Russian investor in the confirmation of a USD 84 million LCIA arbitration award, including obtaining a worldwide post judgment injunction against the transfer of offshore assets and coordinating the freezing and attachment of trust assets in Lichtenstein.
- Represented a client before the US District Court, Northern District of California, in national class action litigation involving allegations of conspiracy to fix prices of liquid crystal displays.
- Represented a client before the US District Court, Northern District of California, in national class action litigation involving allegations of conspiracy to fix prices of cathode ray tubes.
- Represented a client before the US District Court, Northern District of California, in state and national class action litigation involving allegations of conspiracy to fix prices of cosmetics.
- Represented a client before the Superior Court of the State of California, County of San Francisco, in state and national class action litigation involving allegations of conspiracy to fix prices and Robinson-Patman claims of price discrimination between purchasers of name brand and generic drugs.
- Represented a client before the US District Court, Northern District of California, Oakland Division, in a case involving allegations of conspiracy to monopolize the worldwide market for McIntosh clones, in violation of federal and state antitrust laws.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Bay Area Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit~United States (1990)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit~United States (1985)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit~United States (1981)
- California~United States (1981)
- U.S. Court of International Trade~United States (1977)
- U.S. Supreme Court~United States (1974)
- District of Columbia~United States (1973)
- Connecticut~United States (1968)
- Washington and Lee University (LLB cum laude) (1968)
- Washington and Lee University (BA) (1965)
- Washington, DC