Roman focuses his practice on M&A transactions, joint ventures and complex commercial arrangements law. He also advises international and Russian companies on a wide range of regulatory matters, including sustainability (such as renewables, waste and carbon regulation) and investments & innovations incentives.
Roman is a member of Baker McKenzie Global Hydrogen working group, Global Environmental group, CIS Fintech working group and North America-CIS Initiative. Roman extensively participates in various activities of professional associations, working groups and various institutions focusing on sustainability and innovations.
Representative Legal Matters
M&A and joint ventures
Legal support to Ford in the course of the significant restructuring of its Russian joint venture business with Sollers PJSC (Russian major automaker) aiming to re-focus the business on commercial vehicles production and distribution allowing for future business opportunities.
Represented SVEZA, one of the world leaders in the natural birch plywood market, in connection with the acquisition of Tyumen Plywood Plant and two of its satellite companies in Tyumen. The legal work included advising SVEZA on various aspects of structuring the transaction, assisted with obtaining the antimonopoly consent and drafting and negotiating transaction documents, as well as provided general day-to-day support to Sveza during all stages of the transaction.
Advised Kesko Corporation on its sale of the K-Ruoka food retail business in Russia – comprising 11 hypermarkets in St. Petersburg and the Leningrad region, as well as several land plots in the Moscow region – to Lenta LLC, a leading Russian food retail chain. The legal work included drafting and negotiating transaction documents.
Assisted Lantmännen, the Sweden-based agri-food group (with crispbread brands such as FINN CRISP, Vaasan Koulunäkki and Vaasan Pieni Pyöreä) on acquisition of Russian company Orient Products LLC producing crispbread under Schedrie and Kruazett brands.
Advised Orkla ASA, a leading Norwegian supplier of branded consumer goods, on its sale of 100 percent of OJSC Orkla Brands Russia, a major Russian confectionery producer, to Slavyanka-Lyuks JSC, a member of Slavyanka, the Belgorod confectionery group. As part of the transaction Baker McKenzie also advised Orkla on the sale of its real estate property located in Yekaterinburg. Baker McKenzie advised Orkla on all aspects of the transaction, including the vendor legal due diligence review of Orkla’s Russian business, drafting and negotiating transaction documents.
Energy and sustainability
Advised a global player in the electricity market on the implementation of a renewable energy project in Texas, USA.
Advised a Russian subsidiary of the major European energy company on a work contract for construction of a renewable energy power station and obtaining a wholesale market participants status (focusing on the Russian construction and renewable energy law matters.
Prepared a legal feasibility study in connection to renewable energy generating facilities on retail electricity markets of several Russian regions.
Advised a major automotive manufacturer on various legal issues in connection with the development of its own network of charge stations for electrical vehicles in Russia.
Drafted an agency agreement relating to transfer of voluntary emission reduction units under Swiss law for a Russian client.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Chamber of Commerce’s Commission on Economics of Climate Change and Sustainability - Member
- German-Russian Chamber of Commerce - Member, Working group on Energy
- St. Petersburg International Business Association (SPIBA) - Co-chair, Industrial Committee
Advised a pro-bono client on various legal matters relating to the issuance of international renewable energy certificates (I-REC).
Contributed to several green finance related initiatives organized by the working group on environment of expert council to the Government of the Russian Federation.
Assisted Leningrad Region Chamber of Commerce in anti-corruption expertise of Russian waste laws.
- Russia (2012)
- University College London (LLM) (2013)
- Perm State University (LLB) (2012)
- City Business School (Accounting and Finance Training)
- Co-author, "Jump-start of a National Electric Vehicles Industry," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, September 2021
- Co-author, "Russia to Kick-off Second Round of its Renewables Program in September 2021," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, July 2021
- Co-author, "Government Adopts its First Ever Greenhouse Gas Law - The Core of its National Climate Package," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, July 2021
- Co-author, "Sustainability globally and in Russia: must-know for lawyers, LEGAL INSIGHT № 1 (97) 2021
- Co-author, "Russia Taking a Stand in Global Hydrogen Race," Baker McKenzie Insight, February 2021
- Co-author, "Russian Green Transition: Projects Structuring Tools, Sustainability Infrastructure and Finance, INFRAGREEN, December 2020