Mia Imperial is a partner in Quisumbing Torres' Dispute Resolution Practice Group. She heads the Compliance and Restructuring & Insolvency focus groups in Quisumbing Torres. She is also a member of the Firm’s Competition Focus Group.
Mia handles restructuring and insolvency litigation, intra-corporate disputes, regulatory proceedings, competition law enforcement and litigation, criminal and cybercrime litigation, and anti-corruption compliance and governance matters. Her practice spans several industries, including aviation, energy/infrastructure, healthcare, and consumer goods.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advise and represent a multinational company engaged in equipment engineering, and an international diversified commodities merchandising and trading company, both unsecured creditors of an insolvent Philippine fertilizer manufacturing company, in corporate rehabilitation/restructuring proceedings before the Philippine courts in September 2015.
- Represent a global healthcare company in three administrative proceedings before the Food and Drug Administration, all of which target one of the client’s key products (dengue vaccine).
- In collaboration with another Philippine law firm, assist a US-based financial services company in a raid conducted by the National Bureau of Investigation’s Anti-Organized and Transnational Crime Division on its Philippine branch and caused the dismissal of criminal charges for securities fraud filed against the company's employees.
- Assist a leading provider of motor oil and automotive lubricants in connection with the Department of Trade and Industry Fair Trade and Enforcement Bureau’s enforcement action and complaint against supposed products in the Philippine market violating safety standards.
- Defend a fashion and fragrance business based in Spain, and a German manufacturer of optical systems, industrial measurements and medical devices, against their Philippine distributors' claims in relation to the termination of their Distribution Agreements.
- Defend a multinational company engaged in oil and gas exploration and production against a complaint filed by an international environmental non-government agency with the Commission on Human Rights, in relation to the supposed impact of carbon emissions on climate change.
- Advise and represent a China-based developer and supplier of electric power equipment on various EPC issues in several solar power plant projects in the Philippines.
- Represent one of the world's largest anti-slavery not-for-profit organizations, on pro bono basis, in several retaliatory suits filed by suspected human traffickers.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines, Makati Chapter - Director
- International Bar Association
- Philippine Dispute Resolution Center, Inc. - Trained Arbitrator
- Ateneo Human Rights Center
- Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- European Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines
- Philippines (2000)
- Ateneo de Manila University (J.D. with Honors) (1999)
- Ateneo de Manila University (A.B. Philosophy) (1994)