Steffi advises Belgian and foreign financial institutions on all regulatory aspects of financial services and insurance laws. Her principal area of focus is in the insurance, banking, investment, payment and funds industries.
She advises clients on a wide range of financial services and regulatory issues affecting their business, such as licensing and compliance. This includes regulatory advice on insurance and pension regulations (IDD, Solvency II, IORPS, etc.), organisational requirements for financial institutions (anti-money laundering, corporate governance, outsourcing etc.), payments and savings regulations (PSD II, SEPA, etc.), credit regulations (consumer credit, mortgage credit, etc.), investment services and funds regulations (MiFID II, UCITS, AIFMD, EMIR, PRIIPS, etc.),
She assists clients with drafting, reviewing and negotiating their B2B and B2C contractual documentation and general terms and conditions.
She also assists clients with various types of transactional work. This includes mergers and acquisitions, bonds and securities issues and the incorporation and reorganisation of investment funds.
- Laureate Sponsorship of the National Bank of Belgium, 2017
- Laureate FWO Grant for a research stay abroad, 2017
- Laureate Grant To Support Young Researchers, 2016-2017
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Belgian Insurance Commission - Permanent member since 2021
- University of Antwerp - Visiting lecturer since 2019
- Antwerp~Belgium (2019)
- University of Antwerp (PhD degree on Insurance Supervision and the Proportionality Principle) (2019)
- University of Connecticut (Visiting Scholar) (2017)
- Amsterdam Business School (Post-Graduate Course Certificate on Insurance Supervision, cum laude) (2015)
- University of Antwerp (Law Degree, magna cum laude) (2014)
- Co-author, “Belgium: Brexit transitional measures for United Kingdom insurance undertakings and intermediaries”, Baker McKenzie client alert, January 2021
- Co-author, “Belgium: Introduces a right to basic banking services for companies”, Baker McKenzie client alert, December 2020
- Co-author, “Belgium: Constitutional Court rules in milestone decision that the three-year limitation period for insurances is not discriminatory”, Baker McKenzie client alert, November 2020
- Co-author, “Belgium: Implementation of the EU's 5th anti-money laundering directive (AMLD5)”, Baker McKenzie client alert, August 2020
- Author, “Verzekeringstoezicht. Een analyse vanuit het proportionaliteitsbeginsel”, (Insurance supervision. An analysis in the light of the proportionality principle), Antwerp, 2019
- Co-author, “The Mandated Underwriter: A New Type of Insurance Intermediary under Belgian Law”, Baker McKenzie client alert, May 2019