Julian is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie's Financial Services Group in London. Julian advises financial institutions including international and local fintechs, investment and retail banks, asset managers, investment advisers, payment services firms and product issuers on compliance with UK and European regulatory obligations. Julian also has experience in advising on the spectrum of regulated financial services and products including deposit products, payment accounts and electronic money products, consumer credit, insurance, derivatives, managed funds, structured debt and equities.
Julian has completed a secondment to UBS AG and Western Union Business Solutions, in their in-house legal and compliance teams. Duties included advising equity derivatives, fixed income derivatives and equities teams on general commercial and regulatory issues.
He is currently on secondment from the Australian offices of the Firm and has extensive experience with both Australian and English financial regulation.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for a "unicorn" Fintech in its global restructure to reorient its business in line with its business growth strategy and new market developments.
- Acting for a late stage Fintech in conducting a multi-jurisdiction survey to understand its regulatory risk exposures in expanding its crypto-currency business globally.
- Acting for a joint venture "green" investment manager in preparing for and obtaining authorisation from the FCA.
- Strategic counsel for an inter-bank Fintech platform providing customers access to deposit products issued by different retail banks including in relation to their European regulatory advisory matters, and the roll out of their platform in various European countries.
- Providing assistance to an international investment bank in obtaining its authorisation from the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK.
- Advising one of the world's largest banking groups on restructuring its European operations.
- Acting for a major international credit card brand on restructuring its business to comply with the introduction of new regulatory requirements and restructuring to address issues posed by a UK exit from the EU.
- Acting for a sovereign wealth fund in relation to regulatory filings with respect to its acquisition of a UK based securities broker.
- Acting for the senior executives of a UK challenger bank in relation to investigations by the FCA and the PRA.
- Advising a large Asian bank on the wind down of its Australian operations and the transfer of its remaining business to an Australian financial institution.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of New South Wales - Member
- New South Wales~Australia (2012)
- High Court of Australia (2012)
- University of Sydney (LLB (Hons), Bachelor International Studies)
Co-author (with Mark Simpson and Connie Faith), "Unfinished Business? The payment services safeguarding rules after Supercapital", 11 JIBFL 734, 2020
Co-author (with Mark Simpson and R. Powell), "Chapter 7 Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing", in J. Peddie, C. Thomson & M. Simpson (eds), The Law and Regulation of Financial Crime (2nd edition, Sweet & Maxwell, London), 2018