Thomas Hughes is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Chicago office and a member of the Corporate & Securities Practice Group. Tom represents corporate, private equity and hedge fund clients in domestic and international M&A, joint venture, licensing and other commercial transactions. Tom's industry experience includes clients in the pharmaceutical, industrial, energy, technology, insurance and financial services sectors.
Tom focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, complex transactions and corporate law. He also advises clients on internal governance and general corporate matters, including compliance with applicable laws and regulations of governmental authorities, regulatory bodies and stock exchanges.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Tom advised:
- Fortress Investment Group LLC in the USD 250 million sale of Logan Circle Partners, a wholly owned subsidiary of Fortress that provides investment management services, to MetLife, Inc.
- Yahoo! Inc. in a Dutch auction self-tender offer for shares of its common stock, which occurred in conjunction with the sale of its operating business to Verizon Communications Inc.
- Amadeus IT Holding SA in its acquisition of Navitaire LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Accenture that provides technology and business services to the airline industry, for USD 830 million.
- Becton, Dickenson & Company in its acquisition of CareFusion Corporation in a merger transaction valued at USD 12.2 billion.
- Auxilium Pharmaceuticals Inc. in its terminated acquisition of QLT Inc. in a transaction valued at USD 2.2 billion, and in its initially unsolicited, but subsequently agreed upon, USD 2.6 billion acquisition by Endo International plc (Ireland).
- Compuware Corporation in an unsolicited bid from Elliott Management Corporation, and its USD 2.5 billion acquisition by private equity investment firm Thoma Bravo, LLC.
- Mylan, Inc. in its USD 1.6 billion acquisition of Agila Specialties Private Limited (India) from Strides Arcolab Limited (India).
- Norwest Equity Partners and Becker Underwood, Inc., a producer of non-pesticide agricultural products, in its USD 1 billion acquisition by BASF.
- Colony Capital, LLC in the USD 660 million acquisition by Colony Financial, Inc. of substantially all of Colony Capital’s real estate and investment management businesses and operations.
- Goldman, Sachs & Co. as financial advisor to Cardinal Health, Inc. in its acquisition of the Cordis business from Johnson & Johnson for an aggregate value of USD 1.99 billion.
- Illinois~United States (2016)
- New York~United States (2005)
- University of Michigan Law School (J.D. cum laude) (2004)
- University of Michigan (M.S.E.) (1999)
- University of Michigan (B.S.E. Industrial and Operational Engineering magna cum laude) (1998)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.