James Hsiao is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Taipei office, where he advises clients on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and capital markets matters.
Mr. Hsiao has substantial experience in cross-border transactional matters, including mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments and cross-border securities offerings. In addition, he frequently assists premier investment banks and private equity funds in structuring potential mergers and acquisitions transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Representing Cathay Financial Holding Company in sale of 60 percent new equity in Cathay Property Insurance Company of PRC to ANT Financial in the amount of USD200 million.
- Representing MediaTek Inc. in its acquisition of Richteck Technology Corp. in the amount of USD879.3 million by way of tender offer followed by share swap.
- Representing Cathay Life Insurance company in its acquisition of 20 percent stake in Rizal Commercial Bank in Philippine in the amount of approximately USD418 million.
- Representing Cathay Life Insurance company in its acquisition of 40 percent stake in Bank Mayapada in Indonesia in the amount of approximately USD310 million.
- Representing Cosmos Bank in its share swap with China Development Financial Holding Company in the amount of approximately USD770 million.
- Representing Advanced Semiconductor Engineering in its issuance of European convertible bonds in the amount of USD400 million.
- Representing Himax Technologies Inc., the Issuer, and Innolux Corporation, as the major shareholder of the Issuer, in the sell of shares held by Innolux Corporation in Issuer in the form of ADS in the amount of approximately USD133 million.
- Representing Morgan Stanley, as placing agent, in relation to Crimson's sale of shares in Ginko International Co., by way of block trades in the amount of approximately USD100 million.
- Representing Cathay Financial Holding Company in its rights issue in the amount of approximately USD423 million.
- Representing Goldman Sachs, as placing agent, in relation to Fareast Group's sale of shares in Asia Cements Corporation by way of block trades in the amount of approximately USD111 million.
- Recommended Individual, Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Taipei Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- New York~United States (2005)
- Taipei~Taiwan (2001)
- New York University (LL.M.) (2004)
- Soochow University (LL.B.) (1997)
Baker & McKenzie, a Taiwanese Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.