James Hsiao is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Taipei office, where he advises clients on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and capital markets matters.
Mr. Hsiao has substantial experience in cross-border transactional matters, including mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments and cross-border securities offerings. In addition, he frequently assists premier investment banks and private equity funds in structuring potential mergers and acquisitions transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented Cathay Financial Holding Company in the sale of 60% new equity in Cathay Property Insurance Company of PRC to ANT Financial Services Group (an affiliate company of the Alibaba Group and the most valuable fintech company in the world), acquisition of a 40% stake in Bank Mayapada in Indonesia, and acquisition of a 20% stake in Rizal Commercial Bank in the Philippines.
- Represented Morgan Stanley Private Equity in relation to its investments in a leading Taiwan engineering company.
- Represented GE Capital on its acquisition of the shares of Cosmos Bank and the right to purchase from CDIB Capital Group the convertible bonds issued by Cosmos Bank.
- Represented Formosa Plastics Group to sell 5% of its shares in Formosa Ha Tinh Steel Corporation to JFE Steel Corporation.
- Represented MediaTek Inc. in its acquisition of Richteck Technology Corporation by way of tender offer followed by a share swap.
- Represented Himax Technologies, Inc., on its migration to the Cayman Islands and its IPO on the NASDAQ.
- Represented Advanced Semiconductor Engineering, Inc., on its issuance of European convertible bonds.
- Represented Chailease Financial Company on its migration to the Cayman Islands and its IPO on the SGX-ST.
- Represented Morgan Stanley, as the placing agent, in relation to ING Group's sell down of shares in Fubon Financial Holding Company by way of block trades.
- Represented Innolux Corporation in its issuance of global depositary shares.
- Recommended Individual, Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Taipei Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- New York~United States (2005)
- Taipei~Taiwan (2001)
- New York University (LL.M.) (2004)
- Soochow University (LL.B.) (1997)
Baker & McKenzie, a Taiwanese Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.