Akiko Hosokawa has approximately 20 years of experience assisting clients in various banking and finance and general corporate matters. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Akiko worked for a major Japanese insurance company. She has been a partner since January 2006. She has experience working at Baker McKenzie’s London office, and was seconded to Goldman Sachs (through the London office) and the Financial Services Agency of Japan. She is an adjunct financial law instructor at the University of Tsukuba Law School since 2010 and is also a visiting professor at Chuo University's Graduate School of Strategic Management from 2012 to 2016. She has co-authored several publications related to her field, including Basis and Operation of the New Trust Law in 2007.
Akiko focuses her practice in structured finance, including securitization and liquidation. She also handles finance loans — including syndicate loans, real estate transactions and development projects, derivatives, financial laws and real estate transaction laws — as well as general corporate matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Engaged in structuring, documenting and negotiating finance schemes for liquidation and securitization of real estate and various pecuniary claims by use of SPCs and trusts.
- Advised and prepared documentation for domestic and international financial institutions on financial regulation laws including banking law, financial instruments and exchange act, moneylending control act, trust business law, payment services act and act on prevention of transfer of criminal proceeds.
- Prepared documentation for and negotiated loan agreements and security agreements for project financing and asset financing.
- Structured, prepared documentation for, and negotiated real estate transactions including real estate development and trading and hotel management agreements and lease agreements.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association
- New York~United States (2003)
- Japan (1997)
- Boston University (LL.M.)
- Kobe University (LL.B.)