Christian Horstkotte heads Baker McKenzie's German/Austrian antitrust practice and is based in the Firm's Dusseldorf office. Christian has more than 18 years' experience advising on antitrust and competition law. Christian is an active member of the German Association of Antitrust Lawyers and is listed as a leading antitrust lawyer in various publications and rankings, e.g., Chambers, GCR, JUVE, The Legal 500 and Wirtschaftswoche. He is described as one of the leading antitrust lawyers of the younger generation (JUVE 2018/19).
Christian joined Baker McKenzie in 2011 as a partner. Prior to that, he practised in Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer's Brussels and Dusseldorf offices. Before qualifying as a lawyer, he worked at a major German bank in Frankfurt. Christian completed his legal education at the universities of Berlin, Bologna and Goettingen.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised on a number of high-profile EU, German and multijurisdictional merger control proceedings, in particular in the automotive, construction, logistics and fast-moving consumer goods sectors.
- Advised Aurubis in a complex phase 2 EU merger proceeding in relation to the acquisition of Metallo Group.
- Advised HOCHTIEF on the divestiture of its facility management business to SPIE.
- Advised LKQ in the EU merger proceeding and the subsequent national referral proceeding in relation to the acquisition of Stahlgruber.
- Advised Shell in the acquisition of Sonnen.
- Advised in a number of complex cartel investigations of the European Commission and the German Bundeskartellamt including appeal proceedings at the respective courts.
- Successfully defended Carlsberg in a German appeal court proceeding before the Higher Regional Court Dusseldorf in the beer cartel, having the court completely annul a EUR 62 million fine in April 2019.
- Advised a German car parts manufacturer in a cartel investigation of the German Bundeskartellamt.
- Advised Deutsche Bahn AG in various matters relating to antitrust and dominance questions as well as number of merger control proceedings.
- Thought Leader in Competition Germany 2019 - 2020, Who's Who Legal
- Best Lawyers in Germany 2019 - 2020 for antitrust & competition law, Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers
- Recommended in Competition Lawyers, Who's Who Legal 2019
- Wirtschaftswoche Top Kanzlei, The Best Antitrust Lawyers in Germany, 2018 - 2020
- Acritas Star, Acritas Sharplegal 2018 - 2020
- Germany (2002)