Matthew Hopkinson leads the Banking & Finance Practice Group of Baker McKenzie's Yangon office. He has over 12 years of experience in banking and finance having previously been based in London and Singapore. Matthew regularly advises financial institutions, borrowers and sponsors in a wide variety of financing transactions in Myanmar and Asia Pacific. Matthew has presented at numerous conferences including the inaugural Myanmar Loan Market Conference in Yangon hosted by the Asia Pacific Loan Market Association (APLMA) and has assisted the Myanmar government with pro bono training.
Matthew’s practice focuses on domestic and cross border finance transactions in the following areas: acquisition finance, general banking and finance, project and infrastructure finance, property finance, debt restructuring and capital markets. He also advises clients on all corporate activities, including mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and general FDI matters including compliance with the new investment laws. Matthew has worked on a number of cross-border secured and unsecured finance transactions in Myanmar for financial institutions and sponsors.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised the lenders in respect of a USD 30 million loan to a Myanmar company in respect of a social infrastructure development in Yangon and Mandalay.
- Advised the sponsors and the borrower in respect of a USD 122 million senior and mezzanine facilities provided to finance telecommunications towers in Myanmar.
- Advised the sponsors and the borrower in respect of a USD 600 million financing of export credit agency backed facilities provided to an Indian telecommunications company to develop a mobile network.
- Advised the lender in respect of the financing of a mixed use development project in Yangon by a Myanmar Investment Commission incorporated company.
- Advising a multinational consumer goods company in respect of USD 30 million facilities to fund their Myanmar operations.
- Advised the mandated lead arrangers in respect of a GBP 600 million conventional and Islamic facilities provided to purchase three commercial properties in London.
- Advised the lender in connection with the secured financing of a company located in a Thilawa Special Economic Zone.
- Advised the lenders in respect of a USD 10 million convertible loan provided to a Myanmar incorporated finance company and also the joint venture arrangements.
- Advised the mandated lead arrangers on the GBP 130 million development financing of Battersea Power Station.
- Advised a subsidiary of Thai listed company Group Lease Pcl on the acquisition of BG Microfinance Myanmar Co Ltd.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Supreme Court of England and Wales - Solicitor
- The Law Society of England and Wales - Member
- England & Wales (Solicitor)~United Kingdom (2007)
Baker & McKenzie Yangon is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein