Chris Hogan is an English solicitor and a senior counsel in the Banking & Finance Practice Groups in London and Johannesburg. Chris divides his time between our London and Johannesburg offices and has a particular focus of African banking and debt capital markets work.
Chris has extensive experience in acting for borrowers and lenders/underwriters in a broad spectrum of banking and debt capital markets transactions, particularly in developing markets. His work includes straight debt, equity-linked products and structured transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising the Kingdom of Bahrain as issuer of USD 1.5 billion 6.125% bonds due 2022.
- Advising KfW and the Development Bank of South Africa in connection with a USD 81 million loan facility for the Republic of Angola.
- Advising Sibanye Gold in connection with a USD 350 million syndicated revolving credit facility arranged by Bank of America Merrill Lynch and HSBC.
- Advising Radisson Edwardian Hotels in connection with a GBP 218 million (approximately USD 280 million) syndicated property development and refinancing facility arranged by HSBC.
- Advising Ukrainian steel producer Metinvest in connection with its pre-export financing facilities.
- Advising Telecom Italia in connection with a EUR 5 billion syndicated loan facility.
- Advising the financing banks and the agent in relation to a USD 300 million syndicated term loan to Saudi Petrochemicals Company for the revamp of an existing petrochemical plant, the construction of a new petrochemical plant, and the construction of a new electrical power generation facility in Jubail Industrial City, Saudi Arabia.
- Advising Saudi Chevron Petrochemical Company in relation to a USD 300 million syndicated facility.
- Advising Saudi British Bank as issuer in establishing a Medium Term Programme, the first international debt issuance programme established by a Saudi issuer.
- Advising Merrill Lynch and Dresdner Kleinwort as co-lead managers of a USD 600 million bond offering by Ukraine.
- Leading lawyer in Debt Capital Markets, Legal 500, 2017
- Highly regarded lawyer in Debt Capital Markets, IFLR1000, 2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Scotland and Wales - Member
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1985)
- University of Aston at Birmingham (B.Sc.) (1981)
Writer/Contributor, Numerous publications on financing matters including European Financing Laws (Chancery Law Publications).