Chris Hodgens has over 15 years of experience in cross-border M&A and other corporate transactions in Japan, including the InterContinental Hotels Group and All Nippon Airways joint venture which received the Asia Legal Business "Real Estate Deal of the Year" award in 2007. Prior to moving to Japan, Mr. Hodgens practiced in the Firm’s Sydney office for several years.
Mr. Hodgens is a founding member of the Tokyo office's Professional Development Committee and also a member of the Ministry of Justice’s Japanese Law Translation Council.
Mr. Hodgens focuses on M&A and joint ventures, private equity, general corporate law, corporate restructuring, hotel resorts and tourism, and real estate.
He focuses on cross-border corporate transactions involving the acquisition, establishment and divestment of Japanese businesses. His transactional experience covers a wide range of industry sectors, including hotels, retail, medical devices, insurance and telecommunications industries. He has advised on hotel transactions and hotel management agreements for over 10 years.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented AT&T in the sale of its domestic network outsourcing business to Internet Initiative Japan Inc.
- Represented Daiwa Securities SMBC Principal Investments in the acquisition of the HMV Japan business, comprising 62 entertainment retail stores throughout Japan, from HMV Group plc.
- Represented InterContinental Hotels Group in the acquisition of a majority stake in a joint venture with All Nippon Airways Co., Ltd.
- Represented Prudential plc in the acquisition of a Japanese life insurance company.
- Represented a Fortune 500 retail group in the acquisition of a listed Japanese retail group.
- Mr. Hodgens led the Baker McKenzie team that received the Asia Legal Business Real Estate Deal of the Year Award in 2007 for the InterContinental Hotels Group joint venture with All Nippon Airways Co., Ltd.
- Mr. Hodgens was recognized as In-House Community Commended External Counsel of the Year, 2016.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association - Foreign Special Member, International Committee Member
- Japan Federation of Bar Associations - Foreign Special Member
- Ministry of Justice - Japanese Law Translation Council
- Japan (Attorney at Foreign Law)~Japan (2001)
- Victoria~Australia (1996)
- New South Wales~Australia (1996)
- Monash University (LL.B.) (1994)
- University of Tsukuba (Fellowship) (1983)
- Monash University (B.A., Honors) (1980)
Co-author and Editor, Mergers and Acquisitions: Japan, Baker & McKenzie, 2000 to 2010
Co-author, Hotel Investments in Japan: Legal and Structural Issues, joint publication with Jones Lang LaSalle, 2011
Co-author, "Triangular Mergers – Road Testing the New Law," Guide to Japan, International Financial Law Review, 2008
Co-author, "Ten Hot Management Agreement Issues in Japan," Hotels, Resorts & Tourism Newsletter, Baker & McKenzie, September 2007
Co-author, "Sweeping Company Law Reforms Expected to Enter into Effect in 2006," World Securities Law Report, Bloomberg BNA, May 2005