Yaeko Hodaka is a member of the Dispute Resolution and Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions groups in the Firm’s Tokyo office. She has over 20 years of significant legal experience in the areas of litigation, dispute resolution and general corporate law, including acquisitions and corporate restructuring and reorganization. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, she worked as a partner in Morrison & Foerster. She also worked for various Swiss law firms from July 2001 to May 2004.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented investment funds with respect to damage compensation regarding investment contract, JV Agreement and stock transfers and advised clients on dispute and stock protection matters.
- Advised clients with respect to a petition for disclosure of the shareholders’ list where the client was subject to a hostile takeover attempt by foreign companies and funds.
- Represented clients with respect to determination of fair stock value when the shareholder exercises a call option right upon reorganization.
- Represented a client with regard to dispute over control of the group companies and represented the client in various cases, including petition for injunction relief to suspend duty of directors, petition for injunction relief to suspend exercise of shareholders right, petition for discharge of directors, and petition for provisional injunction of issuance of warrant bond.
- Advised clients with respect to damage compensation and investigation regarding a financial report’s misrepresentation under Financial Instruments and Exchange Act and corporate law and represented the Securities and Exchange Surveillance Commission.
- Represented a client in M&A transactions, including stock transfers, corporate splits, business transfers, equity transfers, mergers and privatization of the listed company (MBO and termination of the listed parent company-subsidiary company).
- Japan (1992)
- International University of Geneva (M.B.A.) (2004)
- New York University School of Law (LL.M.) (1998)
- Keio University (LL.B.) (1988)
Co-author, “Basic understanding of leading cases in Corporate Law and FIEL”, Business Homu, monthly series from October 2010.
Author, “Duties and Liabilities expected for directors when conducting valuation of stock price”, Business Homu, April 2010.
Author, “Petition for disclosure of shareholders list”, Nikkei Business, 25 May 2009.
Author, “Insider Rules”, CIAJ Journal, November 2007.
Author, “Current situation and issues of triangle merger”, Nikkan Kogyo Paper, June and July 2007.