Anastasia Herasimovich is a senior associate in Baker Mckenzie's Global Real Estate practice group in Chicago. Anastasia focuses on commercial real estate and construction transactions in the US and globally, including development and management of multi-site construction programs and buildouts.
Prior to joining the Firm, Anastasia was a United Nations (UN) officer, advising the Belarusian government and the UN on high-level strategy development and providing expert support in relation to public-private partnerships. Additionally, Anastasia practiced law in Moscow where she advised large European companies on multi-million infrastructure transactions. She also served on an in-house legal team of a leading North American independent power producer and has been on a client assignment in Switzerland, advising an investment bank on infrastructure projects in the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS).
Having worked and lived in the US, Germany, Great Britain, Switzerland, Russia and Belarus, she brings a variety of experience to the Firm's clients. She is also a strong pro bono advocate, a Co-Chair of the Eurasia/Russia Committee of the American Bar Association and a Co-Founder of the NA-CIS Initiative at the Firm.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represent Firm's major client in connection with its worldwide multi-million construction projects in 100+ jurisdictions, from development of structuring memoranda and services agreements to structuring, drafting and negotiating complex design and construction documents using various pricing and project delivery models (design-bid-build, design-build, construction management, etc.).
- Ongoing representation of Firm's key corporate clients in connection with (i) redevelopment, remodeling and fitout projects and (ii) real estate advisory in connection with corporate reorganizations.
- Serve as global construction counsel to a leading architectural, engineering, and consulting firm and advise on initial entry into foreign jurisdictions and related licensing requirements.
- Represented one of Europe's biggest grocery chains in connection with development and construction of 60+ stores and distribution centers in the US valued at more than USD$300 million.
- Advised a leading international beverage producer on construction of USD$2 billion manufacturing facility in Latin America based on complex CMA and CMR delivery models.
- Advised a major Russian power generating company in connection with project financing, EPC/EPCM and equipment lease negotiations for the modernization of its power facilities.
- Advised sponsors, owners and lenders in connection with construction loans and PPP arrangements in the US and globally.
- Represented a large European transportation group in its USD$250 million acquisition of a controlling stake in a leading metro construction group.
- Represented a luxury fashion retailer with post-merger integration of more than 250 commercial properties in the US.
- Pro Bono: Led teams in developing (i) the Nepalese corporate social responsibility policy, (ii) the Iraqi Human Rights Commission Act, (iii) the UN policy on international assistance relating to capturing pirates, (iv) advisory memoranda relating to best practices for post-conflict national constitutions, (v) the handbook on legal mechanisms and rights available to unaccompanied children crossing borders in various foreign jurisdictions, (vi) the legal framework and practical implementation of national political dialogue mechanisms in Sudan, (vii) the Law on Public-Private Partnerships in Africa, (viii) assessment of UN SC Resolution 1325 implementation relating to women's rights in Africa, and (ix) corporate governance documents for various Firm's clients.
- 2019 American Bar Association Award for Outstanding Annual Meeting Program of Eurasia/Russia Committee
- 2018 Best Pro Bono Project "RED" Award
- 2017 American Bar Association Award for Most Improved Committee (Eurasia/Russia Committee)
- 2015 - present - United Nations Economic Commission for Europe Roster of PPP Experts
Professional Associations and Memberships
- World Business Chicago, Moscow Committee of Chicago Sister Cities International, Chair of Business Affairs
- American Bar Association - Forum on Construction Law
- American Bar Association - Section of International Law, Russia/Eurasia Committee (Co-Chair)
- American Institute of Architects - Member
- The Executives' Club of Chicago - Leadership Circle Member
- United Nations Association - Board Member
- Chicago Council on Global Affairs - Member
- Illinois~United States (2011)
- Northwestern University School of Law (J.D. International Law) (2010)
- Northwestern University School of Law (LL.M. Honors) (2008)
- Swarthmore College (B.A. Political Science and German) (2006)
- European Humaninties University (Bachelor's Degree Law magna cum laude) (2005)
- Europa Univ. Frankfurt/Oder (Exchange) (2004)
Ongoing development of legal updates and alerts on construction law.
Contributing drafter, 2016 Annual Review of Russian and Belarusian Laws on Public-Private Partnerships, ABA International Law Section
Contributing drafter, 2014 Annual Review of International Investment and Development in Belarus, ABA International Law Section
Speaker, "Common Issues and Trends in Construction Law: Best International Practices", Global Construction Conference organized by Ministry of Architecture and Construction, Minsk, Belarus, 2019
Co-organizer, 2016 Eurasian Business Forum, Baker & McKenzie LLP in Chicago in cooperation with the Moscow Committee of Chicago Sister Cities International
Moderator, "PPP's Role in Development of the Investment Climate in Belarus," International Entrepreneurship Week, Belarus, 2015
Speaker, "Legal Representation of PPP Projects: Best International Practices" and "EPC Contracts in PPPs," Global PPP Days, Belarus, 2014
Firm Committee Memberships
- Chicago Associate Committee
- Pro Bono Committee