Steven Henderson heads Baker McKenzie’s real estate and hospitality practice in the UAE. Prior to joining the Firm in January 2014, Steven led the real estate practice of a magic circle firm in the region. Steven is ranked Tier 1 by Chambers and is highly recommended by PLC Which Lawyer.
Steven has extensive real estate development and hotel related experience. He also advises on pre-lets, leasing, acquisitions and disposals.
Representative Legal Matters
Real Estate Development
- Advised on a joint venture between Solidere International and the Ruler of Ajman, on the Master Development, known as Al Zorah, in Ajman, including hotel, residential and commercial aspects. This on-going transaction involves advice on volumetric and strata subdivision, including drafting the suite of documents for the off-plan sales.
- Advised on the ownership structure, lease documentation and rules in relation to the Khalifa Industrial Zone Abu Dhabi, the form of which is now used as a precedent in the Abu Dhabi market.
- Advised NCB Capital (DIFC) Limited on the USD 170 million acquisition (and leaseback) of three schools from GEMS Education.
- Advised Sorouh Real Estate PJSC on its merger with Aldar Properties PJSC.
- Advised Dubai Property Group (DPG) on the first sale of a portfolio of mature real estate assets in Dubai, with an aggregate value of approximately USD 1 billion.
Hotel and Leisure
- Advised Dubai Properties on its first nine hotel deals, including a Double-Tree hotel in Bay Square, Dubai, two new luxury hotels - a new Anantara Hotel to be developed in Culture Village and a new Edition hotel to be developed in JBR, Dubai.
- Advised Four Seasons on its new hotels in the UAE and relocating its regional headquarters to Dubai.
- Advised Jumeirah International on several of its local (UAE) and international hotel projects, including acting as Global Relationship Partner for the firms relationship with Jumeirah following the appointment to its Legal panel in December 2014.
- Advised Skai Holdings in relation to its two market-leading hotel and hotel apartment developments in Palm Jumeirah and Jumeirah Village Circle in Dubai.
- Advised several prominent Dubai real estate developers on new hotel developments, including negotiating the suite of hotel agreements with the operators.
- Tier 1 lawyer for Real Estate in the UAE, Chambers Global, 2008 - 2017
- Named Leading Individual for UAE Real Estate in Legal 500
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Barrister and Solicitor of High Court of New Zealand
- Solicitors Regulation Authority, England & Wales
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2007)
- New Zealand (2000)
- Dubai - Registered Legal Consultant
- University of Auckland (1999)
Baker & McKenzie.Habib Al Mulla is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.