Tom advises on acquisitions of existing infrastructure projects across a range of industries, notably energy (power, including renewable energy and oil and gas), and transport. Tom has experience working in South Korea and New Zealand, and advises clients from these and other countries on their investments into Australia.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Sev.en Global Investments on their acquisition of Delta Electricity, which owns the 1,320 MW Vales Point power station and the Chain Valley Colliery.
- Advised renewable energy developer Maoneng Group on the majority investment by Hong Kong-based private equity investor Gaw Capital Partners to create a local base for AUD 1.7 billion capital expenditure into a pipeline of BESS and other renewable projects in Australia.
- Advised a Korean conglomerate on its proposed acquisition of a greenfield solar project in Queensland.
- Acted for SK E&S on matters relating to its 25% interest in Darwin LNG, Darwin Pipeline and the Bayu-Undan gas field and its interest in the Barossa gas field.
- Advised various South Korean oil and gas corporations on matters concerning their transition to the renewable energy sector, including in relation to hydrogen and carbon capture and storage matters (ongoing).
- Advised a Netherlands private equity fund in its bid for the acquisition of an Adelaide data centre.
- Advised Indonesian state-owned mining and battery manufacture companies on joint developments for vertically integrated nickel mining and battery manufacture projects.
- Acted for the vendors of Korean renewable energy development company KREDO Holdings with respect to its sale to Blackrock Real Assets, which will allow Blackrock to invest up to AUD 1.3 billion into the Korean renewables sector.
- Acted for a Singaporean infrastructure asset developer in its AUD 39 million acquisition of offshore wind project development company undertaking a two-phase, 500 MW project in Jeollanam-do, South Korea.
- Advised a Korean state-owned nuclear and hydroelectric energy provider in its AUD 230 million tender for the construction of a tritium removal facility for a European state-owned nuclear power company.
- Advised a publicly listed US client on its proposed acquisition of the largest clinical laboratory testing services provider in Australia.
- Advised on corporate and M&A matters relating to the acquisition finance of EQT's successful AUD 2 billion competitive bid for the Icon Group.
- Acted for a Chinese technology enterprise on its circa AUD 10 million minority acquisition of shares in an Australian blockchain gaming token developer.
- Acted for a joint venture partner concerning the purchase of Fuggiri Island in the Maldives for the development of a luxury resort.
- Acted for a consortium of private equity investors and superannuation funds for capital raising to fund circa AUD 80 million data centre project in Japan.
- Advised Blackstone on its acquisition of a portfolio of seven office buildings in Auckland, New Zealand, from Goodman and GIC for AUD 609 million.
- New South Wales~Australia (2022)
- New York~United States (2022)
- New Zealand (2017)
Author, "The Private Equity Review: South Korea," 31 March 2021
Baker & McKenzie, an Australian Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.