As a technology law expert Björn Helwig is providing advisory, regulatory, contractual and dispute expertise to companies from various industry sectors, and technology companies on digital business, technology transactions and IT projects. He has worked for renowned international law firms and served as senior director of legal services in a leading consulting, technology and outsourcing company. He has got particular experience in structuring, managing and negotiating complex IT projects and outsourcing agreements and is recognized an outsourcing expert by The Legal 500 Germany.
Björn focuses on complex digital and technology transactions and projects. He has extensive experience in the structuring, management and negotiation of large IT, procurement, transformation and outsourcing projects as well as complex development cooperation agreements and data driven business models. He advises on legal issues in connection with Digital Business, Data Driven Business Models, Data Protection, Data and Cyber Security, Platforms, Autonomous Systems, Artificial Intelligence, Cloud Technology, IoT / industry 4.0, Data Monetization and Smart Contracts. Björn has supported complex negotiations throughout Europe and Asia.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised an international wholesale company in relation to a tender regarding the carve-out of IT functions and the outsourcing of IT infrastructure services.
- Advised a leading international technology and outsourcing provider on a services agreement with a leading mobile telecommunication company transforming the business and operation support systems leveraging the Scaled Agile Framework.
- Advised a car manufacturer in connection with an infrastructure and application maintenance outsourcing agreement.
- Advised a leading international technology and outsourcing provider on SI/AO outsourcing services agreements leveraging DevOps methodology and a "Platform as a Services" agreement with a German car manufacturer.
- Advised a leading analytic and cloud software provider in connection with the development of a public learning platform.
- Advised Heraeus Group on a transitional service agreement in connection with the sale of the global high-performance target materials business to US-based Materion Group.
- Advised a leading international technology and outsourcing provider on a digital transformation services agreement in relation to the development and deployment of global eCommerce template with a German discount supermarket chain.
- Advised a leading asset management firm on the transformation and outsourcing of IT workplace functions and services.
- Advised a leading international technology and outsourcing provider on a "Digital-as-a-Services" agreement with a cable provider transforming customer services operation by leveraging analytics, AI and robotics process automation.
- Advised a leading international technology and outsourcing provider in negotiations with a German bank on the implementation of a new core banking system.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- German Lawyer's Association (DAV) - Member
- German Association of Law and Informatics (DGRI e.v.) - Member
- Chamber of Lawyers Frankfurt a.M. - Member
- International Bar Association (IBA) - Member
- Germany (1998)
- Regional Court of Dusseldorf (Assessor Exam) (1998)
- Ruprecht Karl University of Heidelberg (Referendar Exam) (1996)
- University of Cologne (Referendar Exam) (1995)
Baker & McKenzie Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten und Steuerberatern mbB is a professional partnership under German law registered with the Local Court of Frankfurt/Main at PR No. 1602. It is associated with Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.