Björn Helwig is a counsel in Baker McKenzie, Frankfurt. He has more than 15 years' experience advising domestic and international companies in the technology, automotive, finance, insurance and healthcare sectors on a wide range of IT, software, intellectual property, data protection and data security matters as well as telecommunications, internet and general commercial law. He has worked for renowned international law firms and served as senior director of legal services in a leading management consulting, technology and outsourcing company.
Björn focuses on complex digital and technology transactions and projects. He has extensive experience in the structuring, management and negotiation of large IT, procurement, transformation and outsourcing projects as well as complex development cooperation. He advises on systems integration, applications development and maintenance, infrastructure outsourcing, F&A and H&R outsourcing, managed services, call center and network outsourcing deals. Björn also handles legal issues in connection with big data, cloud services, mobile and e-commerce services. He advises regularly on Industry 4.0, machine-to-machine communication and internet of things. Björn has supported complex negotiations throughout Europe and Asia.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Heraeus Group on a transitional service agreement in connection with the sale of the global high-performance target materials business to US-based Materion Group.
- Advised a leading international technology and outsourcing provider on its IT transformation and F&A BPO services agreements with a Switzerland-based global fashion company and a German global insurance company.
- Advised a leading international technology and outsourcing provider on the development and regulatory clearance of a smart metering services offer and the joint marketing with a municipal utility.
- Advised a global provider of data center outsourcing services on a security and regulatory audit.
- Advised a leading international technology and outsourcing provider on its procurement BPO outsourcing agreements with a Swiss fashion company and a Switzerland-based tobacco company.
Before Björn joined the Firm, he worked on the following matters:
- Advised a chemical company in relation to vendor processes for the award of secondary IT and BPO outsourcing projects, including the outsourcing of company-wide WAN services.
- Advised a leading international technology and outsourcing provider in connection with service agreements in relation to connected cars services.
- Advised a leading international insurance group in relation to tender processes for the award of IT infrastructure and data center services.
- Advised a global communications software and services company in connection with large-scale IT projects, including the outsourcing of central IT functions.
- Advised a leading international technology and outsourcing provider in connection with the implementation of a multi-channel/e-commerce strategy for an internationally operating consumer electronics retailing company.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- German Lawyer's Association (DAV) - Member
- German Association of Law and Informatics (DGRI e.v.) - Member
- Chamber of Lawyers Frankfurt a.M. - Member
- International Bar Association (IBA) - Member
- Germany (1998)
- Regional Court of Dusseldorf (Assessor Exam) (1998)
- Ruprecht-Karls University, Heidelberg (Referendar Exam) (1996)
- University of Cologne (Referendar Exam) (1995)
Baker & McKenzie Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten und Steuerberatern mbB is a professional partnership under German law registered with the Local Court of Frankfurt/Main at PR No. 1602. It is associated with Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.