Sarah Helfers advises clients on a variety of domestic and cross-border transactional matters. Before re-joining Baker McKenzie's Corporate Practice Group, she worked in Baker McKenzie's Tax Practice Group and the tax practice group of another major international law firm, and for the IRS Office of Chief Counsel.
Sarah specializes in implementing complex internal transactions, including post-acquisition integrations, pre-spin business separations, and other cross-border transactions, for US-based multinational companies. She also advises foreign multinational companies on US business expansions. Complementing her corporate practice, Sarah has experience advising global companies on tax planning for cross-border transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a Fortune 500 medical technology company on a USD 25 billion holding company restructuring.
- Advised a Fortune 500 financial products company on a USD 20 billion realignment of businesses in Western Europe and Asia.
- Advised a publicly traded food processing company on a post-acquisition integration of European and Australian subsidiaries.
- Advised a Fortune 500 industrial conglomerate on the separation of business assets in preparation for a public spin-off.
- Advised a publicly traded information technology company on a post-acquisition integration of European subsidiaries.
- Advised a Fortune 500 retailer on the tax aspects of winding down its presence in Latin America.
- Advised a publicly traded industrial manufacturer on the contribution of its Asia Pacific businesses into a USD 1 billion joint venture.
- Advised a publicly traded industrial manufacturer on the realignment of its Latin American businesses.
- Advised a Fortune 500 restaurant franchisor on several multi-billion-dollar restructuring projects.
- Advised a publicly traded insurance company on several post-acquisition integrations.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois~United States (2006)
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law (J.D. Cum Laude) (2006)
- Amherst College (B.A. Cum Laude) (2002)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.