Dr. Tim Heitling is partner in Baker McKenzie's Energy & Infrastructure team in Berlin. He mainly advises on mergers and acquisitions in the energy and infrastructure sectors, as well as on project financings and regulatory matters.
Before joining the Firm in 2016, Tim practiced in an international law firm's M&A/corporate department from 2005 to 2013, with a focus on energy and infrastructure. From 2013 to 2016, he was a partner in another leading international law firm's energy and infrastructure practice group.
He has written several articles related to his practice, including a doctoral thesis on the promotion of co-generation plants.
Tim primarily focuses on the energy and infrastructure sector, and advises domestic and foreign enterprises, sponsors, banks and financial investors with respect to M&A, joint ventures, projects and related financings. He has extensive experience advising on generation assets (gas, coal, nuclear, renewables), storages as well as transmission and distribution assets.
Tim’s practice also covers regulatory advice, such as on unbundling, third party access regimes, exemptions from surcharges and grid fees. He also advises on all stages of project developments, from early-stage structuring through financing and share or asset deal transactions to PPAs, particularly for renewable energy facilities and power plants.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising Kansai Electric Power on the participation in the NeuConnect consortium which will build, finance and operate the first interconnector between Germany and the UK, i.e. two submarine 500 kV HVDC-cables.
- Advised Commerz Real Kapitalverwaltungsgesellschaft (KVG) on the acquisition of the wind farm Fläming (16.8 MW) for its "CR Institutional Renewable Energies Fund.”
- Advised the banking consortium on financing the acquisition of the German sub-metering group ista, one of the world's leading energy efficiency providers, by a Chinese joint venture consisting of CK Infrastructure Holdings Limited (CKI) and Cheung Kong Property Holdings Limited.
- Advised Creos Deutschland Holding GmbH on the acquisition of all shares in STEAG Netz GmbH in a bidding process.
- Advised Chubu Electric Power Co., Inc. and Mitsubishi UFJ Lease & Finance Co. Ltd. on the acquisition of participations in two Offshore TSOs, that operate the offshore HVDC-transmission lines BorWin 1, BorWin 2, DolWin 2 and HelWin 2.
- Advised ALBA Group in relation to an investment of the Techcent-owning family Deng in the ALBA Group.
- Advised several paper mills in connection with exemptions from the renewable energy surcharge and other energy-related surcharges and levies.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Dr. Heitling handled the following matters:
- Advised Swiss Life Asset Managers and Enovos International on the envisaged acquisition of the German gas transmission network operator Thyssengas (auction process).
- Advised Commerzbank AG on the project financing of the Hüselitz wind farm (109 MW; Germany's largest onshore wind farm project in 2015).
- Advised on several power plant projects in Germany and CEE.
- Germany (2005)
- Higher Regional Court of Berlin (Second State Exam) (2005)
- University of Osnabrueck (Doctoral degree) (2004)
- University of Osnabrueck (First State Exam) (2001)