Günther Heckelmann is ranked by top legal directories — including Chambers Global, JUVE Handbuch Wirtschaftskanzleien, PLC Which lawyer? and Expert Guides - Labour and Employment Lawyers — as one of the leading German labor and employment lawyers. He was chair of the Firm's Global Employment & Compensation Group from 2014 - July 2020. From 1998 to 2007, Günther was managing partner of Baker McKenzie Germany. Günther is admitted as a lawyer focusing on the area of labor and employment law.
Günther advises companies on all labor and employment-related matters, particularly in conjunction with complex global reorganizations. He also counsels clients on employment issues arising from multijurisdictional mergers and acquisitions, divestitures and post-merger integrations. Günther likewise represents clients in negotiations with works councils and unions, and advises on European Works Council matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Labor and employment advice to companies in conjunction with complex global or regional reductions in force and restructurings.
- Advice to companies concerning labor and employment issues relating to multijurisdictional mergers and acquisitions.
- European Works Council advice to numerous Fortune 100 companies.
- Employment, Chambers Europe 2021
- Best Lawyers in Germany 2019 for labor law, Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers, 2019
- Germany (1985)
- Fachanwalt für Arbeitsrecht (Attorney Specializing in Labor and Employment Law) (1993)
- University of California, Berkeley School of Law (1983)
- University of Mainz (Referendar Exam) (1981)
Co-author, "The Global Employer: The Labor Relations and Collective Agreements Issue," Volume XIX No. 2, June 2014
Co-editor, "Global Labour Relations Law Newsletter," Issue 1 2014
Co-author, "The Global Employer: The Employment Law Review and Reform Issue," Volume XIX No. 1, February 2014
Co-editor, "Global Labour Relations Law," December 2013
Co-editor, "Global Labour Relations Law," October 2013