Gavin Hayes is an Associate in Baker McKenzie's London office and is a member of the Antitrust & Competition and International Commercial & Trade practice groups. Gavin qualified in March 2016 and focuses on a variety of competition law and anti-bribery issues and the management of internal and external investigations.
Gavin has previously worked in the antitrust team at Baker McKenzie's Washington DC office and spent time on secondment with the competition team at a major global bank, and in the ethics and compliance team of a global science and chemicals company.
Gavin has significant experience working with clients on the management of internal and external investigations and the management and mitigation of risks under competition and anti-bribery laws. Gavin advises clients on engagement with UK and EU authorities, including the Serious Fraud Office, the National Crime Agency, the European Commission and the Competition and Markets Authority. Gavin advises on a broad spectrum of compliance issues, delivers tailored training, and helps clients in a range of sectors conduct risk assessments and audits.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for a global financial services client on a large-scale, global competition and regulatory compliance investigation.
- Undertook an in-depth risk assessment for a major consumer goods company and oversaw the implementation of robust standards and controls relating to anti-bribery and competition law risks.
- Coordinated an internal investigation for a US private equity investment firm on potential bribery and fraud in relation to a recent acquisition.
- Represented a major investment bank in connection with the European Commission's investigation into the Credit Default Swaps (CDS) market.
- Acted for a British industrials company on an internal investigation relating to potential patterns of bribery in Asia and the Middle East, including disclosure and cooperation with regulators around the world.
- Advised a UK defence company in respect of potential breaches of UK export controls.
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2016)
- King's College London, UK (Diploma in EU Competition Law, Distinction) (2018)
- University of Law (Legal Practice Course , Distinction) (2013)
- University of Cambridge (BA Law) (2012)
- Hong Kong