Alexis Hawley is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie's Employment and Compensation Practice. She has extensive experience litigating disputes arising out of various state and federal employment laws and counseling clients on domestic and international employment law matters.
Alexis represents management in employment disputes before state and federal courts, administrative agencies and other tribunals throughout the United States in single-plaintiff, multi-plaintiff and class action lawsuits. Alexis regularly defends employers in actions brought under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), and Illinois Human Rights Act (IHRA). Alexis also counsels clients on day-to-day labor and employment issues, including preparation of employee handbooks and policies, drafting employment and separation agreements, and union/labor relations management.
In addition, Alexis advises on international employment matters. She helps companies plan and implement global workforce reductions and collective dismissals, prepare cross-border employment agreements, and carry out performance-based terminations. She also advises on employment aspects of cross-border mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations.
Representative Legal Matters
- Secured dismissal of complaint alleging employers had unlawfully refused to sign a collective bargaining agreement following four day administrative trial; dismissal affirmed by the National Labor Relations Board.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of medical testing and diagnostics company in an ERISA class action alleging failure to pay severance benefits filed in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey.
- Advised a leading global restaurant chain on the domestic and international employment aspects arising from the sale and outsourcing of its IT functions.
- Advised a multinational privately-held manufacturer of household cleaning supplies and other consumer chemicals on personnel restructurings affecting 1,000 employees around the world. The restructurings entailed large-scale process optimizations, reorganization and redundancies.
- Advised a worldwide e-commerce marketplace on various labor and employment issues related to a global restructuring that involved the downsizing or complete closure of operations in approximately 28 jurisdictions.
- Advised US industrial products manufacturer on the labor and employment aspects of its acquisition of a supplier of secure banknotes for central banks around the world.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a manufacturing company in an ADEA lawsuit brought in the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
- Defended a national hotel chain in multiple grievance arbitrations relating to labor contract interpretation and subcontracting.
- Rising Star in Employment & Labor, Super Lawyers Illinois, 2014-2018
- RED Awards for Outstanding Pro Bono, Baker McKenzie, 2014-2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Illinois Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- U.S. Supreme Court~United States (2014)
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois~United States (2014)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (2010)
- Illinois~United States (2009)
- Illinois Supreme Court~United States (2009)
- Washington and Lee University School of Law (JD) (2009)
- Dartmouth College (BA cum laude) (2004)
Firm Committee Memberships
- Baker McKenzie BakerWomen Affinity Group