Alex Hartmann is a partner of the Sydney office of Baker McKenzie regularly engaged in high-profile construction matters. He advises private sector and government clients on engineering contracts, construction and commercial property projects and infrastructure-related legal issues.
Alex's practice focuses on all facets of project delivery — from contract structuring, drafting and negotiation, to advice on contract administration and dispute resolution. He is regularly engaged by clients in the construction and engineering sectors. He is described as "very articulate, approachable, and excellent at dealing rapidly with difficult issues" in the Chambers Asia Pacific 2014 guide. Alex has been listed in ‘Best Lawyers in Australia' for Alternative Dispute Resolution since 2014 and for Construction/ Infrastructure Law since 2015.
Representative Legal Matters
- Telecommunications carrier - advising major telco on contracts with a value in excess of AUD 350 million for design, construction and upgrade of mobile telephone towers across Australia.
- Acting for Village on its Wet'n'Wild Sydney leisure development.
- Acting for Pembroke Real Estate in its major redevelopment of 20 Martin Place, Sydney.
- Acting for University of Technology, Sydney on a number of high profile campus redevelopment projects.
- Queensland Motorways bid - acting for consortium member in drafting and negotiation of agreement for provision of motorway management and consultancy services.
- Advising multinational water company as a member of the consortium bidding for Mundaring water treatment PPP.
- Advising a leading private hospital and health group on drafting and negotiation of construction management contract for expansion of major private hospital.
- Advising a State Owned Corporation in a high-profile AUD 1 billion desalination project with particular involvement in drafting and negotiating the 20 year operations and maintenance agreement.
- Acting for Emirates Hotels on the development of the Wolgan Valley resort, including all construction consultancy and supply contracts.
- Advising State Owned Corporations in disputes arising from the construction of a transmission line and for flooding-related claims with total claim value in excess of AUD 100 million.
- Listed for Australia, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Best Lawyers in Australia 2014, 2015 and 2016 and Construction/Infrastructure Law 2015 and 2016
- Listed for New South Wales, Leading Construction Lawyers, 'Doyles' Guide to the Australian Legal Profession 2014, 2015 and 2016
- Recommended Lawyer, Construction & Infrastructure, Chambers 2014, 2015 and 2016
- Victoria~Australia (1999)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1990)
- New South Wales~Australia (1987)
- High Court of Australia~Australia (1987)
- University of New South Wales (LL.B.) (1986)
- University of New South Wales (B.A.) (1984)
Baker & McKenzie, an Australian Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.