Ben Harris is a senior associate in the London Employment & Compensation team. He has a number of years' experience working as an employment lawyer in the UK, Hong Kong and Australia, and was recognised as a "Next Generation Lawyer" in the 2017 Legal 500 Hong Kong Employment rankings.
Outside of giving legal advice, Ben has provided training on employment law and data privacy issues, worked with pro bono clients to combat human trafficking and forced labour, been involved in mentoring programs for high school students and colleagues, and is a member of the London LGBT+ Network Steering Committee.
In addition to advising on day to day employment queries, Ben also has significant experience advising on the employment aspects of global mergers, acquisitions and carve-outs; the drafting and enforcement of restrictive covenants and other post-employment obligations; employment litigation, including discrimination, harassment, unfair dismissal and breach of contract; and data protection issues, including employee monitoring, data breaches, and data subject access requests.
Ben has advised clients from a diverse range of industries, including technology, banking and financial services, industrials, education, pharmaceuticals, and sports.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising on the employment aspects of the acquisition of a medical devices business in more than 40 jurisdictions.
- Advising on the employment aspects of the acquisition of a manufacturing business with operations in over 20 jurisdictions.
- Representing an investment bank in relation to the defence and settlement of a high value discrimination claim.
- Representing a cleaning supplies business in litigation to enforce restrictive covenants against a senior employee who left to join a competitor.
- Advising a group of financial institutions on the HR aspects of their GDPR readiness program.
- Coordinating day to day employment law advice across Europe for a high profile technology company.
- Advising a UK bank on the employment aspects of its withdrawal from the Asia Pacific region.
- Negotiating the exit of senior executives in the financial services and construction industries.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Employment Lawyer's Association
- Law Society of New South Wales
- Law Society of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong (2016)
- New South Wales~Australia (2010)
- University of New England (2009)
- University of Sydney (2002)