David Harper is partner and head of Baker McKenzie Habib Al Mulla’s Intellectual Property practice, based in Dubai. He has over nine years’ experience advising on all aspects of intellectual property matters in the UAE and throughout the broader MENA region, focused on trademark prosecution and advisory work for global and regional clients.
Recognised by Managing IP as an IP Star for the UAE, one of only a handful of practitioners to receive this honour. David is also listed in IAM Patents 1000 and in World Trademarks Review 1000, where he is described as a "perspicacious strategic counsellor and a lightning-fast enforcer."
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, David:
- Managed regional IP advisory work for the world's largest beverage manufacturer in over 20 countries, including clearing new brands, prosecuting applications, oppositions, cancellation actions and enforcement actions.
- Provided complex litigation advice on enforcing a GCC patent to prevent local generics manufacuter from entering the UAE and other GCC countries.
- Advised a leading international hotel brand in relation to restraining ongoing infirngemnet of IP rights by a local hotel operator.
- Managed a multijurisdictional trade mark and trade name dispute before the courts concerning a UAE manufacturer of building cladding against a rogue shareholder.
- Supervised regional IP advisory work for the owner of five major fashion retail brands, including clearing new brands, prosecuting applications, oppositions, cancellation actions and enforcement actions.
- Devised regional brand strategy, clearance, and filing program for a retail, hospitality, hotel, and property development client.
- Managed a multijurisdictional dispute concerning a tagline for a UAE theme park operator.
- Provided advice on a complex trade mark dispute in Saudi Arabia based on unregistered well-known rights concerning a chain of look-a-like stores selling multiple look-a-like brands.
- Supervised regional IP advisory work for one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies throughout the Middle East, including clearing new brands, prosecuting applications, oppositions, cancellation actions and enforcement actions.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Barrister and Solicitor of High Court of New Zealand
- International Trade Mark Association (INTA) - Member
- International Trade Mark Association (INTA) Bulletins Committee - Member
- International Intellectual Property Law Association (IIPLA) - Member
- Marques (Identity Brand Owners) - Member
- Brand Owners Protection Group (BPG) - Member
- New Zealand (2007)
- University of Otago (BA Music/Art History) (2007)
- University of Otago (LLB) (2007)