Frederik Harms is a member of the IP Tech practice group at Baker McKenzie Amsterdam. Frederik focuses on technology: IT, outsourcing and commercial law. He works with a broad range of clients, mostly in the technology and trade sectors and ranging in size from stock-listed entities to start-ups. Frederik began his career at a London-based international firm in 2005 and joined Baker McKenzie in April 2013. He has completed midterm secondments to a US-based IT consulting firm and a Dutch national telecommunications company where he was involved in drafting, negotiating and reviewing contracts and sales processes.
Frederik focuses his practice on information technology, outsourcing and commercial law. He is involved in all aspects of commercial contracts, including drafting, negotiating, advisory, contract restructuring, long-term contract termination, as well as litigation. He is proficient in supply and services agreements, distribution and agency agreements, joint ventures, licensing, NDAs and various trading arrangements. He also advises on international private law, software licensing and public procurement.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisting a Canadian producer of outdoor gear in the termination and reorganization of various members in the supply chain.
- Assisting a UK producer of shoewear in various elements of its supply chain, including termination of agents, dealers and logistic service providers.
- Drafting general terms for blockchain technology platforms.
- Assisting a Japanese supplier of apparel in the development, roll-out and maintenance of a pan-European e-commerce system.
- Assisting a Dutch-based national telecommunications company in the litigation with respect to critical IT services that were provided by an international IT consultancy firm.
- Assisting a UK-based data center with regard to various commercial and regulatory affairs.
- Assisting a US-based data center with regard to its contracting procedure on a continuous basis for several years.
- Assisting a Netherlands-based international company providing conditional access technology in all legal aspects (including sale, purchase, licensing and piracy) on a continuous basis for several years.
- Assisting a Japanese automotive supplier with regard to its purchasing contracts on a continuous basis for several years.
- Assisting a US-based company providing identification technology with long-term production agreement of identification documents to a European government.
- Representing and assisting an international franchise organization in the termination and settlement of various long-term franchise agreements.
- Drafting, negotiating and reviewing contracts and sales processes (including outsourcing, RFPs, framework agreements, SLAs) during a midterm secondment at the legal department of a US-based IT consultancy firm.
- Drafting, negotiating and reviewing various contracts, structuring online sales process during a midterm secondment spent at the business market department of a Dutch national telecommunications company.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association for Distribution Franchise & Agency
- Dutch Association for IT and Law
- Association for Distribution Franchise and Agency
- Dutch Bar Association (NOvA)
- Netherlands (2005)
- Vrije Universiteit (cum laude) (2010)
- Tilburg University (cum laude) (2005)
- University of Utrecht (2001)
Baker & McKenzie Amsterdam N.V. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.