Megan Hardy is an associate in Baker McKenzie's Banking & Finance Practice Group in Johannesburg. She advises lenders and borrowers in relation to various forms of debt finance and assists clients undertaking multi-jurisdictional financing and related transactions.
Megan focuses on banking and finance transactions covering acquisition finance, trade finance, project finance and leveraged loan facilities. She also has experience in commercial and property law, specialising in conveyancing matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising Nedbank Limited and Absa Bank Limited on the Ngodwana biomass project which has been awarded preferred bidder status in the fourth bidding phase of the REIPPP Programme, of which Sappi Limited is the lead equity member.
- Advising Nedbank on the Zeerust solar photovoltaic project and the Droogfontein II solar PV projects which have been awarded preferred bidder status in the fourth bidding phase of the REIPPP Programme, of which Old Mutual Life Assurance Company (SA) Limited is the lead equity member.
- Advised the USD and ZAR lenders on a South African security package for the USD 550 million and ZAR 2.5 billion refinancing of facilities for Richards Bay Mining and Titanium. The facilities were refinanced subject to English law and Baker McKenzie assisted the English counsel with the review of the revised facility agreement and related transaction documents and comments on South African market practice, law and procedure.
- Advised MTN Communications Nigeria on its USD 1.5 billion additional debt financing.
- Advised FirstRand Bank Limited (through its Rand Merchant Bank division) as arranger of the ZAR 550 million acquisition finance and working capital facilities for Namibia Breweries Limited.
- Advising Novo Energy on a capital raising matter.
- Advising a multinational bank on its South African security provided by Spar Group Limited.
- Advising a commercial bank on its English Law loan facilities which included South African and Isle of Man jurisdictions.
- Advised The Standard Bank of South Africa and a multinational bank on a USD 120 million financing for Zambia Sugar plc to finance the expansion of its sugar production capacity.
- Advising RMB on its amendment of facilities.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Northern Provinces - Member
- South Africa (2012)
- South Africa (2011)
- Law Society of South Africa (School for Legal Practice) (2009)
- University of Cape Town (LLB) (2008)
- University of Cape Town (Bachelor of Arts) (2006)