Bruce Hambrett is the chairman of the Australian offices, an insolvency lawyer and disputes lawyer with deep industry expertise in the telecommunications and finance sectors.
Bruce was a member of the Firm's Global Executive Committee for four years ending in October 2016, and Chair, Asia Pacific and Chair of the Firm's Professional Responsibility and Practice Committee in that period. He has now returned to full-time practice.
For more than 30 years, Mr. Hambrett has been a key adviser to insolvency practitioners and financial institutions on insolvency-related issues, and a trusted adviser to boards and senior executives, including General Counsel, on disputes of strategic importance.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising Fortress in the Octaviar liquidation.
- Advising various stakeholders in the One-Tel Limited liquidation
- Defending trustee for debenture holders in a large class action in the property sector.
- Advising senior executives in relation to investigations by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission into disclosure issues arising out of the Wembley Stadium Project.
- Advising key stakeholders including administrators of a number of major insolvencies including Fincorp, Australian Capital Reserve, Bridgecorp Finance, Westpoint, Lehman, Sons of Gwalia and Griffin Coal amongst others.
- Best Lawyers – Insolvency and Reorganisation, Australian Financial Review, 2009-2013
- Best Lawyers – Litigation, Australian Financial Review, 2013
- Leading Lawyer – Dispute Resolution, Chambers Global, 2011-2014
- Leading Lawyer – Restructuring & Insolvency, Chambers Global, 2011-2013
- Leading Lawyer – Restructuring & Insolvency, IFLR 1000, 2010
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association (ARITA) - Member
- Law Council of Australia - Chairman, Media & Communications Committee, Business Law Section (1998-2005)
- Law Council of Australia - Insolvency & Reconstruction Committee, Founding Chairman and Member (1988-1998)
- Queensland~Australia (1993)
- Victoria~Australia (1986)
- New South Wales~Australia (1975)
- University of Sydney (LLM) (1992)
- University of Sydney (LLB) (1975)