Anne-Catherine Hahn is an experienced dispute resolution partner and commercial lawyer in Baker McKenzie's Zurich office, as well as a member of the Firm's EMEA Disputes Practice Group Steering Committee. She advises on all aspects of dispute resolution and more generally on commercial transactions, helping businesses and business owners to manage and mitigate legal and compliance risks. Relying on strong academic credentials in Swiss and international law, and more than 15 years of practical experience in cross-border matters, Ms. Hahn provides thorough legal analysis as well as commercially workable solutions for complex problems, often at the crossroads of civil, regulatory and criminal law. She has also been an academic visitor at the National University of Singapore and for many years has served as a regular lecturer at the University of Fribourg in Switzerland.
Ms. Hahn routinely represents parties before arbitral tribunals and courts and in complex negotiations (including out-of-court settlements and mediation), particularly in cross-border and cross-cultural settings. She has particular knowledge in the area of post-M&A and other financial disputes, as well as disputes arising from complex licensing, manufacturing, supply and distribution structures. Many of her projects arise from, or relate to, emerging markets and growth areas outside Western Europe. She also regularly helps clients to (re-)build viable business relationships, advising on the set-up and negotiation of commercial agreements and related compliance questions, in particular in the life science sector. German and English are her day-to-day working languages. She also regularly handles assignments in French, and is conversational in Italian.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted a global company with its response strategy to criminal charges against business partners, advising on Swiss law aspects of ongoing internal investigations and interactions with law enforcement agencies in several countries.
- Acted for a biotech company in a cross-border licensing dispute involving allegations of criminal conduct.
- Represented a Swiss industrial company in an M&A arbitration with a US purchaser of production facilities.
- Assisted a biotech company with the negotiation of a development and licensing agreement for a plasma product.
- Acted for a Swiss bank in civil proceedings related to a fraud scheme involving a former external asset manager.
- Advised a manufacturer of medical devices with respect to the set-up of collaboration arrangements with external medical advisors.
- Acted for a Swiss bank in relation to warranty and tax compliance claims arising out of an M&A transaction (Swiss Rules).
- Acted for a US-listed company in an ICC arbitration against the supplier of a GMP-regulated drug.
- Acted for a leading wealth management provider in an arbitration concerning the dissolution of a partnership agreement.
- Advised a bank in relation with to claims against a wealth management client and coordinated litigation in France, Italy and Switzerland.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Swiss Bar Association - Member
- Zurich Bar Association - Member
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution - Member
- ASA Swiss Arbitration Association - Member
- Switzerland (2000)
- University of Fribourg (Dr. iur. Walther Hug Foundation Prize and Peter Jäggi Foundation Prize) (2004)
- University of Michigan (LL.M. Certificate of Merit) (2003)
- University of Fribourg (lic. iur. Bilingue) (1998)
Baker & McKenzie Zurich and Baker & McKenzie Geneva are each members of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.