Steffen Hagen is a counsel in the Firm's IP/IT & Commercial Practice Group in Amsterdam. Steffen has been practicing commercial intellectual property law for over 15 years, particularly in the fields of trademarks, designs, copyrights, database rights, domain names and patents. He is very experienced in litigation, advice and strategy, commercial contracting and licensing, IP restructuring, franchising and distribution, customs seizures/anti-counterfeiting and corporate transactions.
Steffen is knowledgeable in IP litigation and disputes, particularly in trademark and copyright infringement matters and brand enforcement strategy. He is also regularly involved on IP aspects in transactions and contracts. According to Chambers Europe, "Steffen Hagen is appreciated by clients for his creativity, and for the fact that he "understands our needs and is proactive and solution-oriented". Steffen has particular interest in customs seizures as well as ambush marketing and IP-related sports law. His clients include various A-rated brands and multinationals, particularly in the FMCG, online/media, pharma, and fashion and sports industry sectors.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisting an FMCG multinational in trademark infringement disputes and opposition proceedings.
- Advising a global pharmaceutical company on IP restructuring matters.
- Assisting a market-leading agricultural company in a patent infringement dispute.
- Advising a well-known consumer goods brand on trademark issues and strategy, as well as commercial contracts/IP licensing.
- Assisting a large commercial sports company in distribution and contracting matters.
- Advising a global F&B company on marketing, advertising law and labelling regulations in connection with a new product launch.
- Assisting a large industrial products manufacturer on trademark and copyright infringement issues and anti-counterfeiting.
- Advising a global online/social media company on notice and takedown regarding third-party copyright infringement and misleading publications.
- "Up and Coming," Chambers Global, 2014
- "Up and Coming," Chambers Europe, 2014
- Netherlands: IP, Legal 500, 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dutch Bar Association (NOvA)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Benelux Association of Trademark and Design Law (BMM)
- Amsterdam~Netherlands (2002)
- University of Utrecht (LL.M.) (2001)
Baker & McKenzie Amsterdam N.V. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.