Joost Haans has been practising competition law since 1999. He returned to Baker McKenzie's European & Competition Law Practice in Brussels in October 2010 where he had been a senior associate from 2004 to 2008. From 2008 to 2010, Joost was senior director at the antitrust section of the corporate legal department of Royal Philips Electronics in the Netherlands. Prior to joining a highly regarded law firm in Brussels in 1999, he worked at the Dutch Ministry of Justice for three years in the field of EU and public international law. Joost advises clients in various industries, including financial services, healthcare, automotive, chemicals, consumer goods, IT and agriculture.
clients on a wide variety of competition law. Joost has significant experience in merger control, including submitting merger filings to the European Commission and national competition authorities. He coordinates multijurisdictional merger proceedings around the world. Joost assists clients in cartel proceedings, including dawn raid assistance and leniency application, with the European Commission and Dutch and Belgian competition authorities. In addition, Joost advises on distribution agreements, licensing agreements, cooperation agreements, abuse of dominance and competition law compliance programs.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acts for a consumer goods manufacturer in the ongoing investigation by the European Commission into resale price maintenance and online sales restrictions.
- Acted for a multinational supplier in the Belgian competition authority's first cartel settlement decision concerning the Belgian grocery sector.
- Advising a chemicals company on an abuse of dominance case and related litigation in the Netherlands.
- Acted for a basic industries company in a Belgian and Dutch cartel investigation and succeeded in having the authority drop the investigation against our client.
- Advising Archer Daniels Midland on the merger control aspects of various transactions, including acquisitions and full-function joint ventures. This involved conducting the multijurisdictional merger filing analysis, making EC filings and coordinating filings in various jurisdictions.
- Advising Daimler on the merger control aspects of its acquisition of Athlon which was notified to the European Commission.
- Assisting Carglass with the merger filing to the Belgium competition authority of its acquisition of CARe.
- Advising an insurer on its acquisition of another insurance company. This transaction was notified in Belgium and the Netherlands.
- Advising a pharmaceutical company on the merger control aspects of the acquisition of a competing business.
- Involved in many other merger filings at national and European Commission level, and conducting merger filing assessments.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dutch Competition Law Association
- Dutch European Law Association
- Belgian Competition Law Association
- Belgium (2000)
- University of Brussels (Licenciate) (2000)
- College of Europe (LL.M.) (1999)
- University of Leiden (Master) (1995)