Max Gutbrod is highly experienced in matters involving M&A, financing and restructuring. He has served as a managing partner in the Firm’s CIS and Moscow offices. He is a frequent speaker at conferences on banking and finance, currency control, as well as other related issues. Dr. Gutbrod has also written numerous articles on Russian, German and international business law, including WTO, privatization, securities transactions, banking and energy.
Dr. Gutbrod regularly advises a wide range of clients on financial regulatory matters, insurance, derivatives, as well as in the legal aspects of Kyoto Protocol implementation. He is also well-versed in corporate and commercial matters, joint ventures and legal reform.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Sadia, a Brazilian food producer, on the sale of its 60 percent stake in a food-processing Kaliningrad-based plant Concordia to Sadia's Russian partner Formant Investments.
- Acted for BayernLB, Commerzbank AG, Erste Bank, Landesbank Berlin AG and RZB as Mandated Lead Arrangers and BayernLB as Agent in relation to a USD218 million syndicated trade-related term loan facility to Bank Zenit.
- Advised a major European company on participation in a bidding procedure for acquisition of shares of a territorial generating company.
- Advised AES Corporation in connection with structuring an investment project based on energy efficiency mechanisms and involving provision of financing and equipment, as well as works and services to a Russian counterparty, advising on various regulatory aspects of the proposed transaction, and drafting and negotiating the contractual instruments involved.
- Advised MCC EuroChem on the structuring of an investment project involving the implementation of Kyoto protocol rules, including the provision of financing and equipment, as well as works and services to a Russian counterparty, advising on various regulatory aspects of the proposed transaction, drafting and negotiating the contractual instruments involved.
- Acted as Russian counsel for one of the world's leading producers of building materials in subsoil-related issues in connection with acquisitions and transfers of mineral rights under various mineral licenses.
- Ongoing advice on a number or international and local corporations on corporate structuring related to the implementation of the Kyoto Protocol;
- Localized the ISDA-Agreement for a major international bank.
- AdvisedHungary's largest bank, OTP, in connection with its acquisition of a 100% stake in Investsberbank.
- Advised Camco International on its acquisition of Russian carbon developer MCF Finance and Consulting. Camco International acquired MCF’s portfolio of carbon asset development agreements (CADAs) under the joint implementation (JI) mechanism of the Kyoto Protocol.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Russian Franchising Association
- Russian Foreign Investor Advisory Counsel
- German Chamber of Commerce in Russia
- European Business Club
- Berlin~Germany (1990)
- University of Munich (Dr. jur.) (1992)
- University of Munich (Qualifying Bar Exam) (1990)
- University of Tuebingen (Initial Bar Exam) (1985)
Dr. Gutbrod is a frequent speaker at conferences on banking and finance, currency control, oil & gas, WTO issues, and the securities market in Russia. In addition, Dr. Gutbrod has written numerous articles regarding Russian, German and international business law, including WTO, privatization, securities transactions, banking and energy.