Jayshree Gupta is a partner in the Firm's Dubai office and member of the EMEA IT & Communications Steering Committee. She regularly features in the "Top 100 Most Influential Indians in the Gulf Region" published by Arabian Business and has served on the Regulatory Appeals Committee of the Dubai Financial Services Authority since 2008.
Ms. Gupta is a dual qualified solicitor (England and India) and has been practising in the UAE since 1995. She has extensive experience in the Gulf, advising on corporate and commercial matters including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, franchising, agency and distribution, and hotel contractual work. Among her clients are multinational organizations, established Middle Eastern businesses and major Indian corporates from a wide range of sectors including hospitality and leisure, retail and fashion, media, technology, telecommunications and finance.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie Habib Al Mulla, Ms. Gupta handled the following matters:
- Advising several French and Italian couture houses in relation to their corporate expansion, investments, restructure and joint ventures in the Gulf with locally based partners.
- Advising on franchise agreements and arrangements for companies such as THE One, Tower Records, Aujan Industries, and White Stores.
- Advising a Saudi-based group in relation to the three hotels in Abraj Al Bait Complex with a major hotel chain in the Holy City of Makkah.
- Advising Marriott Hotels with respect to hotel management agreements, global sales representative agreements and generally structuring of their business in the UAE.
- Advising Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre (ADNEC) in relation to its growth of the exhibition centre in Abu Dhabi and advising on hotel management agreements with ALOFT, Hyatt and Starwood.
- Advising on a joint venture between a NYMEX international commodities exchange and the Government of Dubai in order to set up a regional commodities exchange in the Dubai International Financial Centre.
- Advising the Emirates Bank Group in relation to its virtual branch, electronic banking systems, drafting terms and conditions as well as advising Network International and Diners Club, subsidiaries of the Group on credit card agreements including virtual cards, gateway and processing agreements, offline and online ATM agreements on iPay, a pre-loaded internet credit card.
- Advising the investment banking division of one of the largest banks in Dubai with regard to its proposed investment in the banking sector in India through the acquisition of a stake in an Indian financial institution.
- Planning and working on India entry strategy for one of the most well known and Germany’s largest record company and its application to the Foreign Investment Promotion Board.
- Advising several Silicon Valley clients such as Cisco Systems, Extreme Networks and ITXC in respect of setting up in the Dubai Internet City and regulatory issues and advising financial institutions in respect of Internet products and partnership with e-commerce service providers.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Swedish Business Council
- Indus Entrepreneurs
- Indian Business and Professional Council
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Bar Council of India
- International Bar Association - Women's Interest Group
- Bar Council of Maharashtra and Goa
- Senior Court of England & Wales~United Kingdom (1997)
- High Court, Mumbai, India (1995)
- Dubai - Registered Legal Consultant
- Fraser Valley College, British Columbia, Canada and St. Xavier College-Bombay, India (B.A. Economics) (1992)
Baker & McKenzie.Habib Al Mulla is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.