Rocio Guadalupe Mendoza is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie's Houston office and a member of the Firm's North America Energy Transactions Practice Group. She advises on a diverse range of domestic and international energy-related transactions and projects, including mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures and project development.
Rocio is a member of the Houston office’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee, Recruiting Committee and Community Services Committee.
Rocio routinely works with upstream oil and gas as well as midstream clients in transactions involving conventional, unconventional, onshore and offshore resources. She also advises upstream and midstream clients on a variety of commercial issues, including oil and gas leases, surface use agreements, operating agreements, gathering, processing and transportation agreements, and other commercial matters.
Rocio also has substantial experience representing downstream refining and petrochemical clients in the purchase and sale of business units, formation and governance of joint ventures, project development, integration and shared site and utility arrangements. She has also advised sponsors in the development, acquisition and divestiture of solar and wind projects.
She also has invaluable in-house perspective obtained through two six-month secondments with Shell Oil Company.
Representative Legal Matters
Acquisitions and Divestitures Experience
- Advised an international energy services company on the sale of assets located in the US
- Advised a Mexico-based energy company on its proposed first acquisition of US oil and gas assets.
- Advised a US independent exploration and development company on the sale of oil and gas assets in Oklahoma.
- Advised a US independent exploration and development company on the sale of oil and gas assets in Colorado.
- Advised various independent exploration and development companies in multiple transactions involving the sale of oil and gas assets in the Utica, Marcellus, Barnett, Eagle Ford shale plays, frequently combined with entry into an exploration and development agreement for properties.
Joint Venture and Project Development
- Advised an international refining company on its acquisition of joint venture interests in a refining company.
- Advised a chemical company in a joint venture to design, construct, own and operate a polymer facility in Taiwan.
- Advised a major oil company on the development of a gas to liquids facility in the Gulf Coast.
- Advised US owned local Peruvian LNG company on the development of Camisea gas field in Peru.
- Advised a private equity firm on a drilling participation arrangement in the Eagle Ford.
- On the Rise, Texas Legal Awards, 2020
- Texas Rising Star, Texas Monthly, 2020
- Woman to Watch, Houston Business Journal's Women Who Mean Business, 2017
- Houston Club Leader, Latino Leaders Magazine, Winter 2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Houston Bar Association Membership Committee - 2020-2021
- The Institute for Energy Law (IEL) - Advisory Council, Oil & Gas Section and Annual Oil & Gas Law Conference Planning Committee
- Association for International Petroleum Negotiators
- Women's Energy Network - General Member and Member of the Speaker’s Committee, 2017 National Conference
- State Bar of Texas - Oil, Gas & Energy Resources, International Law Sections and Hispanic Issues Section
- Houston Bar Association - Oil, Gas & Mineral Law and International Law Sections
- KIPP - Alumna, Member of KIPP Houston Public Schools Local Board, 2016-17 KIPP Alumni Leadership Accelerator Fellowship
- Hispanic Bar Association of Houston - Member, Board of Directors
- Center for Houston’s Future Business/Civic Leadership Forum - Participant, Fall 2019
- Texas (2011)
- University of Texas School of Law (J.D.) (2011)
- Stanford University (B.A.) (2007)
- Co-author, "Impressions from the Historic Texas Railroad Commission April 14, 2020 - Prorationing Hearing," Baker McKenzie Client Alert, April 2020
- Co-author, "Could the Parties have Anticipated the Unthinkable? Force Majeure in the Texas Energy Industry After COVID-19," Texas Lawbook, April 2, 2020
- Moderator, "Identifying, Evaluating and Selecting a Strategic Relationship", ACC Houston Marquee Full-Day CLE: Life Cycle of a Deal Entering, Exiting and Litigating your Strategic Relationships, December 2019
- Co-author, "Trump’s America First Energy Plan," Oil & Gas Financial Journal, March 2017
- Speaker, "Ethics for In-House Attorneys," Client Seminar, Houston, Texas, January 2017