Joel Greer is a member of the Dispute Resolution group in the Tokyo office. He is recognized as a key individual for dispute resolution by Chambers Asia Pacific and The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, with the latter describing him as "judicious, reasonable and responsive."
Joel's practice focuses on dispute resolution, particularly international arbitration in construction and other sectors.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented an East Asian contractor in an International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) arbitration concerning a dispute arising from the refurbishment and expansion of power plant facilities in Latin America.
- Represented an East Asian manufacturer in an ICC arbitration, seated in Paris, regarding a dispute concerning a pharmaceutical license agreement.
- Represented a European manufacturer in an ICC arbitration, seated in Singapore, arising out of the termination of a joint venture agreement.
- Represented an East Asian contractor in an ICC arbitration, seated in London, regarding the construction of a power and desalination plant in the Middle East.
- Represented an East Asian contractor in an arbitration conducted under the rules of the Japan Commercial Arbitration Association (JCAA) regarding the construction of a power and desalination plant in North Africa.
- Represented an East Asian manufacturer in a JCAA arbitration involving a dispute with a Southeast Asian party arising out of multiple sales agreements.
- Represented an East Asian contractor in a potential ICC arbitration, seated in Singapore, arising from a dispute related to the construction of a coal-fired power plant in Southeast Asia.
- Represented an East Asian corporation in an arbitration conducted under the rules of the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) arising out of major uranium mine assets.
- Represented an East Asian engineering and manufacturing company in an ICC arbitration over contractual disputes arising out of the construction of a power plant in the US.
- Represented an East Asian contractor in a mediation under the rules of the Singapore International Mediation Centre in connection with the construction of a power facility in the Middle East.
- Chambers Asia Pacific 2018
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dai-ni Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- District of Colombia Bar Association - Member
- Foreign Registered Lawyer (gaikokuho jimu bengoshi)~Japan (2007)
- District of Columbia~United States (2002)
- Massachusetts (2001)
- Yale Law School (JD) (2000)
- Cornell University (BA) (1985)