Matthew Grant is a member of Baker McKenzie's North America Corporate & Securities Group. Matthew focuses his practice on a variety of transactional matters and corporate governance advice. Matthew previously spent 10 years with the Firm before leaving to act as Senior Corporate Counsel (Securities) for one of the largest dual listed issuers in Canada. Matthew has worked in the London office of Baker McKenzie and, as a law student, he completed a work term at the Ontario Securities Commission in the Market Regulation Department. He returned to Baker McKenzie in 2018.
Matthew practices securities and corporate law and focuses on transactional matters, including cross-border and domestic public and private M&A as well as strategic alliance transactions, reorganizations and spin-off transactions. Matthew also advises on capital markets transactions, corporate governance, continuous disclosure, and other securities regulatory matters. Matthew has particular knowledge in assisting private equity funds and hedge funds that are raising capital in Canada. Matthew has assisted clients in a variety of industries, including mining, technology, consumer goods and industrials.
Representative Legal Matters
- Served as counsel to the Mold-Masters group of companies on the sale of the Mold-Masters group to Milacron LLC and its private equity backer CCMP Capital Advisors.
- Served as counsel to Sims Recycling Solutions with respect to its share acquisition of Genesis Recycling Ltd.
- Advised Jiangxi Ganfeng Lithium Co. Ltd. on its subscription for a 9.99% stake in International Lithium Corp. following its spin-off from TNR Gold Corp.
- Advised Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO) on Canadian securities law matters relating to the subscription agreement for a 19.9% stake in Denison Mines Corp., a TSX listed issuer, together with an offtake agreement and other commercial arrangements.
- Served as Canadian counsel to a consortium of a global technology company, the Japan Bank for International Cooperation and the Tokyo Electric Power Company in connection with its CAD 270 million private placement transaction for common shares of Uranium One Inc., together with an offtake agreement and other commercial arrangements.
- Served as Canadian securities counsel to a multinational healthcare company with respect to the spin-off of its research-based pharmaceutical company including obtaining relief from Canadian securities regulators with respect to spin-off.
- Served as counsel to Mold-Masters Limited and its founding shareholders regarding international aspects of the significant investment by 3i US Growth Partners L.P., an affiliate of 3i Group PLC in Mold-Masters.
- Advised Asia Thai Mining Co., Ltd. on its successful acquisition of Pan African Mining Corp, a TSX Venture Exchange listed company, by way of a Plan of Arrangement transaction.
- Advised ATS Automation Tooling Systems Inc. on certain international aspects surrounding the sale of the assets and liabilities of its Precision Components Group.
- Advised Cementation Canada Ltd. on its joint venture partnership with the Kitikmeot Corporation and the resulting creation of Kitikmeot Cementation Mining & Development Ltd., a mine contracting and engineering company.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Ontario~Canada (2004)
- University of Victoria Law School (LL.B.) (2003)
- Wilfrid Laurier University (B.A. Hons.) (1997)
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an Ontario limited liability partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.