Matthew Grant is a member of Baker McKenzie's North America Corporate & Securities Group. Matthew focuses his practice on a variety of transactional matters and corporate governance advice. Matthew previously spent 10 years with the Firm before leaving to act as Senior Corporate Counsel (Securities) for one of the largest dual listed issuers in Canada. Matthew has worked in the London office of Baker McKenzie and, as a law student, he completed a work term at the Ontario Securities Commission in the Market Regulation Department. He returned to Baker McKenzie in 2018.
Matthew practices corporate and securities law and focuses on transactional matters, including cross-border and domestic public and private M&A as well as strategic alliance transactions, reorganizations and spin-off transactions. Matthew also advises on capital markets transactions, corporate governance, continuous disclosure, and other securities regulatory matters. Matthew has particular knowledge in assisting private equity funds and hedge funds that are raising capital in Canada. Matthew has assisted clients in a variety of industries, including mining, technology, consumer goods and industrials.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Bain Capital Private Equity and Valeo Foods Group on the acquisition of Les Industries Bernard & Fils Ltée, the world's leading independent bottler and processor of maple syrup.
- Advised Dexterra Group Inc. (TSX: DXT) on the acquisition of TRICOM Facility Services group of companies.
- Advised Mercedes-Benz Group AG on the sale of the corporate-owned Mercedes-Benz dealerships in the Greater Toronto Area to the AWIN Group of Dealerships and Zanchin Automotive Group.
- Advised Dexterra Group Inc. (TSX: DXT) on the acquisition of Canadian food services company Dana Hospitality LP from Fulcrum Capital Partners.
- Advised ACNielsen Company of Canada in its acquisition of Cornerstone Capabilities Inc.
- Canadian counsel to Evonik Industries AG in its acquisition of the Porocel Group.
- Advised International Schools Partnership, a portfolio business of Partners Group, on the acquisition of the Rowntree private schools and the acquisition of the Lynn-Rose private schools.
- Advised Sika on its acquisition of King Packaged Materials Company, a large independent Canadian manufacturer of dry shotcrete, mortars and concrete solutions.
- Advised the Chiesi pharmaceutical group on its acquisition of a product line from Apotex and its investment in pharma/AI technology developer Cyclica.
- Advised Stamm International Corp. on its sale of Powrmatic of Canada to Deschenes Group Inc.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Ontario~Canada (2004)
- University of Victoria Law School (LL.B.) (2003)
- Wilfrid Laurier University (B.A. Hons.) (1997)
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an Ontario limited liability partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.