Alastair Gourlay is a partner with the Banking & Finance group. He is recognised in Legal 500 (2019) as "a name to note for acquisition finance, corporate lending, real estate finance and financing by alternative capital providers."
Alastair has more than 15 years' experience representing financial institutions, financial investors and corporates in cross-border leveraged finance, funds finance, real estate finance, general corporate finance and financing by alternative capital providers. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Alastair worked for a Magic Circle law firm in Australia, UK and Brazil and advises on both Australian and English law.
Representative Legal Matters
- The lead arrangers of a Term Loan B acquisition financing for EG Group's A$1.7 billion acquisition of Woolworth’s petrol station business.
- A Chinese state-backed consortium on their acquisition financing to acquire the Nature’s Care health business.
- OCP Asia, an Asian credit fund, on its subscription of notes for the acquisition financing out of administration of National Plant & Equipment Pty Ltd, an Australian equipment company.
- Fortress on margin lending to an Asian hedge fund backed by shares listed on the London Stock Exchange and on Nasdaq.
- The lead arrangers on the take-private acquisition financing for a consortium of Chinese investors led by Hopu and Hillhouse to acquire the Singapore listed GLP for US$18 billion from Blackstone.
- CVC Capital Partners on the financing of its privatisation of the Hong Kong listed Nirvana Asia Ltd.
- Singapore's sovereign wealth fund GIC on their financing to acquire National Lifestyle Villages.
- Affinity Equity Partners on their acquisition financing to acquire just over one-third of the Velocity Frequent Flyer programme from Virgin Australia.
- Apollo on a pan-European buy out of distressed real estate financings and securitisations from Credit Suisse.
- Goldman Sachs and the International Finance Corporation on the acquisition financing of a Middle Eastern oil and gas service company.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Asia Pacific Loan Markets Association (APLMA) - Committee Member
- AIMA/Alternative Credit Council (ACC) - Committee Member
- Loan Markets Association (LMA) - Member
- Turnaround Management Association (TMA) - Member
- Law Society of New South Wales - Member
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
Baker & McKenzie, an Australian Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.