Pavel Gorokhov is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Intellectual Property Practice Group in Moscow. Mr. Gorokhov is a registered trademark lawyer with the Russian Patent and Trademark Office. He was admitted to the Russian Bar in 2005. Mr. Gorokhov is a member of the International Trademark Association (INTA) and in 2013 received INTA’s Volunteer Service Award for the Advancement of Committee or Subcommittee Objectives. He has been recognized by Chambers.
Mr. Gorokhov’s practice covers general IP advice and IP enforcement matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Successfully advised Christian Louboutin in obtaining registration for the brand’s “Red Sole” trademark. The Chamber for Patent Disputes withdrew the original refusal of the Russian examination authorities and granted protection to the trademark.
- Acted on behalf of Gallup Corporation in obtaining vacations in the Federal Arbitrazh Court of four lower court judgments on a decision of the Supreme Patent Chamber of the Russian PTO; assisted Gallup in complex litigation over trademark rights in Russia and Kazakhstan.
- Represented Biofarma, a major European pharmaceutical company, in a dispute involving unauthorized use of a drug name confusingly similar to the trademark of a well-known medication by a major Russian generic drug company.
- Represented Starbucks Corp. in a long legal battle in various litigation forums in Russia against a trademark squatter who demanded huge compensation for dropping a registered trademark closely reproducing the famous logo of the company.
- Acted for Intel Corp. and successfully contested a decision of Rospatent in two court instances that maintained protection of the Comintel service mark registered in the name of a local namesake company for telecom services.
- Represented Diageo, the world’s leading premium drinks producer, in a large-scale litigation campaign aimed at safeguarding its rights to use the Smirnov and Smirnoff trademarks in Russia.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Russia (2005)
- Russian State Institute of Intellectual Property (Bachelor's Degree) (2005)
- Moscow State University of International Relations (Bachelor's Degree) (1995)
Baker & McKenzie - CIS, Limited is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.