Peter Goodman is a partner in the Restructuring & Insolvency Group in Baker McKenzie's New York office. He has represented clients in complex bankruptcies for more than 30 years.
Mr. Goodman is listed in The Best Lawyers in America as a leading lawyer in bankruptcy and creditor debtor rights/insolvency and reorganization law. He has also been named a New York Super Lawyer for the past six consecutive years and has been listed in Metro Magazine as a top attorney in bankruptcy and creditor/debtor rights.
Mr. Goodman's practice focuses on corporate insolvency and bankruptcy law, representing and counseling national and international companies, directors and officers and other individuals, debtors, trustees, creditors and creditors' committees, bank groups, bondholders and significant shareholders in complex reorganization proceedings and out-of-court restructurings. He is experienced in all aspects of bankruptcy litigation — fraudulent conveyances, preferences, fiduciary duties, turnover, cramdown, stay litigation, contested plan confirmation and valuation disputes, intercompany litigation, subordination and recharacterization, executory contract issues and claims objections. His practice also includes ERISA litigation, particularly disputes involving vesting, benefits, and coverage issues, and complex commercial litigation matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representation of Takata Corporation in its Chapter 15 case (United States Bankruptcy Court District Delaware).
- Representation of Wells Fargo NA as agent bank and first lien lender in the Azure Midstream Partners LP (United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Texas).
- Represented Official Producers’ Committee, in connection with oil and gas producers’ enforcement of oil and gas lien rights against failed oil and gas marketing and transportation company SemCrude LP and its lenders in SemCrude’s Chapter 11 case (United States Bankruptcy Court, District of Delaware).
- Representation of cargo creditors in Hanjin Shipping Chapter 15 case.
- Representation of Alcoa in the Energy Futures Holdings Corp (formerly known as TXU) Chapter 11 case in connection with a power production contract and contract assumption dispute (United States Bankruptcy Court, District of Delaware).
- Representation of Freddie Mac in (1) New York State Court Liquidation Proceeding of Federal Guarantee Insurance Company (FGIC) and (2) its opposition to a settlement agreement between FGIC, Residential Capital, LLC (ResCap), and in the ResCap Chapter 11 case (United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York).
- Represented Harrison J. Goldin, Chapter 11 Trustee of PSINet Consulting Solutions f/k/a Metamor Solutions (United States Bankruptcy Court Southern District New York) in the U.S. and international liquidations.
- Represented tort claimants in Delaco Chapter 11 case concerning mass tort claims against Delaco, an over the counter Dexatrime manufacturer and distributor. (United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York).
- Represented RomaCorp (also known as Tony Roma’s restaurants) in its Chapter 11 case (United States Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Texas).
- Represented Drexel Burnham Lambert Subordinated Junior Noteholders in Drexel Burnham’s Chapter 11 case concerning former employee the noteholders’ ERISA/ deferred compensation claims and the right to receive distributions under the Chapter 11 plan (United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York).
- Distinguished Service Award, Pace University School of Law
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York - Bankruptcy Subcommittee
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Pace University School of Law - Board of Visitors
- Congregation Kneses Tifereth Israel (KTI) - Board of Trustees
- New York State Bar Association
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut~United States (2008)
- Connecticut~United States (1987)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York~United States (1987)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York~United States (1987)
- New York~United States (1987)
- Pace University School of Law (J.D. Pace Environmental Law Review) (1986)
- Vanderbilt University (B.S. Economics and History) (1982)