Alfonso Gómez-Acebo practises in the area of international arbitration and co-heads the International Arbitration Group at Baker McKenzie Madrid. Since 1998 he represents and advises clients in arbitration proceedings and in state court proceedings relating to arbitration, including set aside and enforcement proceedings subsequent to rendering arbitral awards. He also regularly advises clients in pre-arbitral negotiations. Dr. Gómez-Acebo speaks Spanish, English and French.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie Madrid SLP in 2012, Dr. Gómez-Acebo spent three years in London as a full-time researcher at the Centre of Commercial Law Studies, Queen Mary, University of London, where he also taught on international commercial arbitration at the LLM International and Comparative Commercial Arbitration course. From 1998 to 2008, he worked in the international arbitration group of J&A Garrigues SLP.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a Bolivian company in an arbitration concerning an alleged force majeure in an oil supply contract. Bolivian law applicable. Language: Spanish. Seat: Montevideo.
- Represented several Argentine and Spanish companies in an arbitration concerning a share purchase agreement in the electricity sector. Argentine law applicable. Languages: Spanish and French. Seat: Buenos Aires.
- Represented a Spanish company in an arbitration concerning the termination of a joint venture in the air traffic control sector. Spanish law applicable. Language: English. Seat: London.
- Represented a Spanish company in an arbitration concerning alleged hidden liabilities in the acquisition of a high-tech corporation. New York law applicable. Language: English. Seat: New York.
- Represented an Italian company of a US industrial group in an arbitration concerning an alleged breach of contract for the supply of turbines in the construction of a power plant. Spanish law applicable. Language: Spanish. Seat: Madrid.
- Represented a Spanish company in an arbitration concerning the valuation of works for the construction of a combined-cycle plant. Colombian law applicable. Language: Spanish. Seat: Miami.
- Represented a Spanish company in two arbitrations concerning delays and penalties in the construction of a thermo and gas power plant. Puerto Rican law applicable. Language: English. Seats: Paris and Geneva.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Madrid Bar Association - Member
- Spanish Arbitration Club (CEA) - Member of the Governing Board
- CEA 40 - Co-founder
- International Council for Commercial Arbitration - Member
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - Fellow (FCIArb)
- Madrid~Spain (1998)
- Queen Mary, University of London (Ph.D., Schmitthoff Scholar) (2013)
- IE Law School, Madrid (LL.M.) (1997)
- Comillas Pontifical University, Madrid (Economics & Business Administration Degree) (1995)
- Comillas Pontifical University, Madrid (Law Degree) (1994)