Luis F. Gomar is a partner in the North America Corporate & Securities Practice, bringing more than a decade of experience advising on cross-border transactions in the energy and finance sectors. He has extensive experience in Latin America and is a frequent speaker on the Mexico Energy Reform.
Luis counsels clients on both domestic and international transactions involving divestitures, financing, fund formations, joint ventures and mergers and acquisitions. He regularly advises energy companies on contracts, formation and structure planning. He has significant experience representing clients on investment and expansion opportunities in the United States and throughout Latin America.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Luis handled the following matters:
Mergers, Acquisitions and Divestitures
- Represented Spanish renewable energy developer in connection with sale of 90% interest in two solar projects in Mexico to multinational infrastructure fund for approximately USD 130 million.
- Represented large paper packaging manufacturer and distributor with sale of all assets, including Mexican manufacturing facilities (maquiladoras) to producer of containerboard and corrugated packaging for USD 615 million.
- Represented publicly traded oil and gas company in the acquisition of Louisiana drilling fluids company for approximately USD 52 million, including negotiation of senior secured and mezzanine debt as well as Reg. D offering of preferred stock.
- Represented a privately held client with the sale of oil and gas leases, wells, and pipeline in Rocky Mountains for approximately USD 90 million.
- Represented a privately held client with the sale of oil and gas leases and wells in the Haynesville Shale in Texas and Louisiana for approximately USD 75 million.
- Represented a privately held client with the sale of onshore drilling rigs for approximately USD 59 million.
- Represents hedge funds, private equity funds and hybrid funds pursuing a variety of investment strategies, including, event-driven, asset-backed, real estate and funds of funds.
- Represents management companies, USCIS approved EB5 regional centers and issuers in connection with fundraising, registration, investment activities (including negotiating side letters, direct equity and other forms of convertible investments), marketing, ongoing compliance and operational issues.
- Represented an energy company on its successful bid to enter into first farm-out of its kind with Pemex for exploration and excavation deep waters of the Gulf of Mexico.
- Represented multiple oil and gas companies with successful bids to explore and extract Hydrocarbons onshore and offshore under Mexico’s new energy framework.
- Recommended Attorney, The Legal 500 US by Legalese (Industry Focus: Energy: Transactions: Oil and Gas), 2016
- Texas Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters (Mergers & Acquisitions), 2013, 2015
- Who's Who Legal: Mexico (Energy), 2017-2018
- Latin America’s Rising Legal Stars: Partners to Watch, Latinvex, 2015
- Outstanding Lawyer Under 40, Jewish Federation of Greater Dallas Cardozo Society, 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Texas
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN)
- Texas Bar Association
- Texas Young Lawyers Association
- Jewish Federation of Greater Houston, Board of Trustees and Flood Committee, 2017 to present
- Jewish Federations of North America, Emergency Committee; 2016 to present
- Holocaust Museum Houston, Board of Advisors, 2018
- Texas~United States
- U.S. Supreme Court~United States
- New York~United States
- University of Kansas School of Law (JD) (2005)
- University of Texas at El Paso (BBA) (2002)
- Co-author, "Impressions from OPEC+'s June 6, 2020 Decision to Maintain Oil Production Cuts," Baker McKenzie Client Alert, June 2020
- Co-author, "Impressions from the Texas Railroad Commission's Historic May 5, 2020 Decision Against Prorationing," Baker McKenzie Client Alert, May 2020
- Co-author, "Impressions from the Historic Texas Railroad Commission April 14, 2020 - Prorationing Hearing," Baker McKenzie Client Alert, April 2020
- Quoted, Mexico’s Energy Reform Will Continue, But With Changes, Midstream Business and Oil & Gas Investor, 3 July 2018
- Quoted, Mexico's 2nd hydrocarbon auction marked by several joint bids, Platts, 16 June 2017
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.