Luis F. Gomar is a partner in the North America Corporate & Securities Practice, bringing more than a decade of experience advising on cross-border transactions in the energy and finance sectors. He has extensive experience in Latin America and is a frequent speaker on the Mexico Energy Reform.
Luis counsels clients on both domestic and international transactions involving divestitures, financing, fund formations, joint ventures and mergers and acquisitions. He regularly advises energy companies on contracts, formation and structure planning. He has significant experience representing clients on investment and expansion opportunities in the United States and throughout Latin America.
Representative Legal Matters
Mergers, Acquisitions and Divestitures
- Led team representing principals of Marc Jones Construction Company d/b/a SunPro, one of the largest residential solar panel installation companies in the United States, with the sale of 51% interest to a group of private equity firms sponsored by Compass Energy and MGG Investments for USD 180 million.
- Led team representing Korean oil and gas company in connection with the disposition of US GOM oil and gas assets to private equity sponsored management team.
- Led team representing publicly traded Australian mining and petroleum conglomerate in connection with the potential acquisition of various US GOM oil and gas assets.
- Led team representing Bahraini Family Office in connection with the sale, through the stock of Irish domiciled SPV, of two offshore rigs in Mexican Gulf of Mexico valued at USD 140 million.
- Led team representing European renewable energy developer in connection with the potential acquisition and development of solar projects in Texas totaling 850 MW of installed capacity for a total transaction value of USD 675 million.
- Led team representing Korean consolidated group in connection with the potential investment in a series of battery storage facilities totaling 60 MW of energy storage capacity in California.
- Led team representing Mexican family office with various oil and gas investments in the United States.
Structured/Project Finance and Development
- Led team representing PetroBal Upstream Delta 1, S.A. de C.V. (PetroBal), part of Grupo BAL, in connection with USD 250 million reserves base lending (RBL) financing for the development of the Ichakil-Pokosh fields in shallow waters off the Mexican Gulf of Mexico.
- Led team representing integrated oil and gas company in connection with the development, including the negotiation of EPC and other project development contracts, and financing of a fuel storage terminal facility in Mexico valued at approx. USD 137 million.
- Led team representing family office backed management team in connection with the development and financing of a refinery in Honduras.
- Recommended Attorney, The Legal 500 US by Legalese (Industry Focus: Energy: Transactions: Oil and Gas), 2016
- Texas Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters (Mergers & Acquisitions), 2013, 2015
- Who's Who Legal: Mexico (Energy), 2017-2018
- Latin America’s Rising Legal Stars: Partners to Watch, Latinvex, 2015
- Outstanding Lawyer Under 40, Jewish Federation of Greater Dallas Cardozo Society, 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Texas
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN)
- Texas Bar Association
- Texas Young Lawyers Association
- Jewish Federation of Greater Houston, Board of Trustees and Flood Committee, 2017 to present
- Jewish Federations of North America, Emergency Committee; 2016 to present
- Holocaust Museum Houston, Board of Advisors, 2018
- Texas~United States
- U.S. Supreme Court~United States
- New York~United States
- University of Kansas School of Law (JD) (2005)
- University of Texas at El Paso (BBA) (2002)
- Co-author, "Impressions from OPEC+'s June 6, 2020 Decision to Maintain Oil Production Cuts," Baker McKenzie Client Alert, 8 June 2020
- Co-author, “Outlook for US Renewable Energy Projects Following COVID-19,” Renewables Now, 5 June 2020
- Co-author, "Impressions from the Texas Railroad Commission's Historic May 5, 2020 Decision Against Prorationing," Baker McKenzie Client Alert, May 2020
- Co-author, "Impressions from the Historic Texas Railroad Commission April 14, 2020 - Prorationing Hearing," Baker McKenzie Client Alert, April 2020
- Quoted, Mexico’s Energy Reform Will Continue, But With Changes, Midstream Business and Oil & Gas Investor, 3 July 2018
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.