David Goldberg is an associate in Baker McKenzie's Corporate and M&A Practice Group in Johannesburg.
He specialises in general corporate commercial law, corporate governance, due diligence investigations, mergers and acquisitions and private equity.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Impala Platinum Holdings Limited in relation to its proposed acquisition of 100% of the issued and outstanding common shares in North American Palladium, the Canadian-based primary platinum group metals producer listed on the TSX and the US OTC market, for a total cash consideration of approximately ZAR 11.4 billion.
- Advised Bidvest Limited on its acquisition of PHS Group, the number one hygiene service provider in the United Kingdom, which also holds top positions in Ireland and Spain (transaction value: approximately ZAR 9.1 billion).
- Advised Pan African Resources Plc (listed on the JSE and Alternative Investment Market) with the disposal of various coal mining assets to Coal of Africa Limited (transaction value: ZAR 250 million).
- Advised Pan African Resources Plc with the disposal of its South African platinum mining operations to Sylvania Group.
- Advised a company based in Pakistan on its potential acquisition of various distressed assets in East Africa (transaction value: approximately ZAR 2.25 billion).
- Advised a black economic empowerment fund on its acquisition of a 30% stake in one of South Africa's largest privately held short-term insurance providers (including advising on various finance and security related aspects of the transaction).
- Advised a private equity fund on the acquisition and consolidation of various logistics companies operating in Sub-Saharan Africa (including advising on various finance and security related aspects of the transaction).
- Advised PROPARCO on its acquisition of an indirect stake in various companies operating in the manufacturing sector across North Africa.
- Advised a privately held South African company with a management buyout of one of South Africa’s largest hotel / residential developments (including advising on various funding and security related aspects of the transaction).
- Advised Emerging Capital Partners on its acquisition of a stake in Inter Africa Transport Forex, a group of companies operating in 10 countries in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Northern Provinces – Member
- New York State Bar – Member
- New York (2019)
- South Africa (2018)
- University of South Africa (Bachelor of Arts)
- University of Cape Town (Bachelor of Laws)
- University of Witwatersrand (Master of Laws)