Daniel Goelzer is a Washington, DC-based senior counsel in the Firm’s Banking, Finance and Major Projects group. He became a partner in 1990, after seven years as General Counsel of the Securities and Exchange Commission. In 2002, Mr. Goelzer was appointed by the SEC as a founding member of the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board, the body responsible for oversight and regulation of independent auditors of US public companies and securities broker-dealers. He served as Acting PCAOB Chairman from August 2009 through January 2011, leaving the Board upon conclusion of his term in 2012. He returned to Baker McKenzie in late 2012. Mr. Goelzer retired as a partner at the end of 2015 and now serves as senior counsel.
Mr. Goelzer has authored numerous articles concerning federal securities law topics. He currently prepares a monthly newsletter, Audit Committee and Auditor Oversight Update.
Mr. Goelzer advises clients on issues of securities law disclosure and compliance, corporate governance matters, and the regulation and oversight of auditors. He also counsels global custodian banks and other financial institutions with respect to financial services regulation.
Representative Legal Matters
- Chairs a council that advises on audit quality issues for a major international accounting firm.
- Drafted publications on internal control over financial reporting and on PCAOB inspections for an association of public accounting firms.
- Participated in the formation of the Association of Global Custodians, served as the Association’s counsel and secretary, and represented the Association in connection with regulatory matters, including amendments to SEC Rule 17f-5.
- Represented individuals and companies in SEC enforcement investigations, including matters involving alleged financial reporting violations, insider trading, and brokerage firm responsibilities.
- Served as an expert witness on securities law matters and brokerage firm responsibilities.
- Served as a compliance reviewer pursuant to SEC and self-regulatory organization enforcement orders.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Federal Bar Association - Securities Law Executive Committee
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants - Member
- American Bar Association - Committee on Federal Regulations of Securities
- National Association of Corporate Directors - Board of the National Capital Area Chapter
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit~United States (1985)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit~United States (1985)
- District of Columbia~United States (1980)
- U.S. Supreme Court~United States (1976)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit~United States (1975)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit~United States (1974)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin~United States (1973)
- Wisconsin~United States (1973)
- George Washington University (LL.M.) (1979)
- University of Wisconsin (J.D.) (1973)
- University of Wisconsin (Bachelor of Business Administration) (1969)