Marcin Gmaj co-heads the Firm’s Mergers and Acquisitions Group in Warsaw and oversees International Commercial & Trade, Energy, Grants and Incentives and Litigation practices. He is consistently recognized for his work in the area of mergers and acquisitions by Chambers Europe, Legal 500 and recommended by PLC Which Lawyer?. He participated in many significant privatizations and investment projects, involving legal services within the scope of commercial, civil and financial law. He represented clients in litigation matters within the scope of civil and commercial law; he is also an active arbitrator at the Arbitration Court of the National Chamber of Commerce and the Confederation of Private Employers “Lewiatan”. He advises also the Association of Business Service Leaders (ABSL) – an SSC/BPO association in Poland - in a variety of legal issues. Marcin Gmaj actively offers pro bono legal services for non-profit organizations in Poland including Hospice for Children and catholic Committee for School Formation.
Mr. Gmaj provides skillful counsel on mergers and acquisitions, commercial and competition law, direct investments as well as financial law. He frequently handles transactions and leads projects related to investments in special economic zones in Poland including various greenfield projects. He is highly seasoned in the legal aspects of business and share transactions, takeovers and restructurings. He has been involved in the acquisition and restructuring of both Polish state-owned and private enterprises Mr. Gmaj overseen the creation of corporate structures for financial projects, including securitization of commercial lease receivables and issue of mortgage-backed bonds as well as international public offers of securities, state aid and public procurement procedures. He has also represented clients in civil, commercial and post-acquisition litigation cases, pending before arbitration and common courts, including at enforcement stage.
Representative Legal Matters
- International IT corporation – representing in the division of the Polish branch into two newly created companies.
- Energa S.A. – comprehensive legal assistance related to the privatization of PKP Energetyka.
- Jones Lang LaSalle – advice on the acquisition of an enterprise doing finishing business.
- De Heus B.V. – legal advice on the acquisition of a feed manufacturer.
- BGŻ BNP Paribas S.A. - comprehensive legal assistance related to the bank privatization, including advising on the sale of the bank’s shares.
- Sharp – comprehensive legal assistance related to the sale of productive activity in Poland.
- Gazit Globe Ltd./Atrium European Real Estate – advice on a number of transactions involving shopping centres in Poland.
- American privately owned multinational computer technology company – comprehensive legal services on major greenfield projects, advising on a business restructuring in Poland.
- Polaris – legal advice on the planned direct investment project in a Special Economic Zone in Poland.
- Plaza Centers Europe (BV) – advice on the transaction regarding planned acquisition of the hotels chain "Syrena".
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Warsaw Bar Chamber
- Poland (1996)
- University of Warsaw (M.C.L. Honors) (1992)