Dr. Hubert Orso Gilliéron heads the Antitrust Law Practice Group and co-heads the Transactional Practice Group of Baker McKenzie Geneva. He is a member of Baker McKenzie's European Competition Law, Commercial Law and M&A Practice Groups. He focuses on Swiss and European antitrust, as well as commercial and corporate law, including M&A transactions.
Hubert's practice focuses on advising clients on various commercial and antitrust issues in commercial and corporate transactions, on representing them in administrative and/or court and/or arbitral proceedings as well as on setting up and implementing antitrust compliance programs. His practice covers drafting and negotiating all kinds of complex national and international commercial agreements, including share and asset purchase agreements, distribution and franchising agreements as well as joint-venture agreements in various industries, including luxury goods and energy. Hubert also regularly advises on various commercial and competition issues in corporate transactions or court and/or arbitral proceedings.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised client in the pharmaceutical and chemical industry with respect to its acquisition by a market leader (corporate transaction and merger control filing before Swiss and EU authorities).
- Represented a major international retailer in connection with the sale of its local subsidiary (corporate transaction negotiations).
- Advised a major energy company with respect to its participation in construction and distribution joint ventures (share purchase agreement negotiation and antitrust clearance).
- Advised market leader in the context of a joint-venture agreement with its main competitor (R & D joint-venture, antitrust analysis and clearance).
- Assisted clients in the luxury and fast consumer goods industries in drafting distribution agreements and setting up distribution network (contract law and antitrust perspective).
- Represented a major international company in connection with the termination of a distribution agreement (arbitration, contract law and competition law).
- Represented a major oil producer in connection with the termination of a joint-venture agreement (arbitration).
- Advised a market leader in the Swiss market in the context of a contract law dispute (abuse of a dominant position, unfair competition and contract law analysis).
- Represented a major energy company in connection with the exercise of a right to purchase a significant stake in a competing company (arbitration, corporate and competition law).
- Advised banks and asset managers in connection with the sale or purchase of their businesses (corporate transactions).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Swiss Competition Association (ASAS) - President
- Swiss Bar Association (FSA) - Member
- Bar Association of the Canton of Geneva - Member
- Association of International Business Lawyers (AIBL) - Member
- Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA) - Member
- Chairman of the Junior Chamber International Geneva (2011)
- Geneva~Switzerland (2004)
- University of Fribourg (Ph.D. Competition Law) (2004)
- HEC, Lausanne (Superior Degree Management and Business Administration) (1997)
- University of Lausanne (Master of Law) (1995)