Luis Alonso Garcia has more than 25 years of experience practicing in intellectual property law. Mr. Garcia has been vice minister of Foreign Trade in Peru. He was in charge of the negotiation of intellectual property in the free trade agreement between Peru and the United States. He has successfully led the offices for Peru’s trademarks and patents and has chaired the Court for Intellectual Property in INDECOPI. Mr. Garcia is also an intellectual property lecturer in different universities in Peru.
Luis Alonso focuses his practice on trademarks, patents and regulatory law compliance issues to the pharmaceuticals, healthcare and food industries. He advises local and foreign companies on myriad IP matters and assists in planning, execution and direction of intellectual property protection strategies, as well as advising on infringement and unfair competition matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising an international energy drinks beverage company on sanitary regulatory matters.
- Advising international medical devices companies in connection with distribution agreements and sanitary regulatory matters.
- Advising international pharmaceutical companies in connection with pharmaceutical establishments regulations.
- Advising an important Peruvian public entity in software litigation.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Inter-American Association of Intellectual Property (ASIPI) - Member
- International Trademark Association (INTA) - Member
- Consultant Council of Universidad del Pacifico Law School - Member
- Peruvian Association for Customs Law & International Trade (APDACI) - Member
- Peruvian Association of Intellectual Property (APPI) - Board of Directors (2011-2013)
- "Good Governmental Practices" award at the Ciudadanos Al Día (CAD) - Technical Team
- Vice-Minister of Foreign Trade (2006-2007) - 2006-2007
- INDECOPI - National Institute for the Defense of Competition and Protection of Intellectual Property - Consultant Council, 2007 - 2008
- Peru (1993)
- Universidad del Pacifico (Master Degree in Global Business Management) (2014)
- ESAN Graduate School of Business (Advanced Program in Business Administration - PADE) (1993)
- University of Lima (Law Degree) (1992)
Co-author, "Intellectual Property in the FTA Peru – European Union," Universidad del Pacifico, Lima, 2013
Co-Author, "Intellectual Property in the FTA Peru – United States," Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas, Lima, 2008
Author, "Businessman guide on trademarks and geographic indications," World Intellectual Property Organization, Geneva, 2006
Author, "The use of trademarks as tools to support competitive strategies in community tourism," Series Net for Sustainable Community Tourism for Latin America (REDTURS), Work Document No. 7, International Labor Organization(ILO), Geneva, 2006
Author, "Some notes on the protection of the Origin Denominations in the Andean Community," System for Economic Integration in the Central America Market, SIECA, Magazine 1 Year 7