Mikako Fujiki is a member of the Tokyo Pharmaceuticals, Life Sciences and Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions groups, and has spent 15 years as an international partner with the Tokyo office. Since her admittance to the bar, she has advised Japanese and international corporations on regulatory law matters concerning consumer protection, as well as general commercial law.
Ms. Fujiki regularly advises pharmaceutical and food companies on meeting their compliance obligations. She also helps companies deal with legal issues arising in new business areas such as cutting-edge medical support products and the importation of newly developed food products. Ms. Fujiki has extensive experience helping clients eliminate illegal products from the Japanese market. She has collaborated with Japanese and international customs, police and other agencies to reveal illicit international manufacturing of fashion products and their distribution routes, and to carry out civil and criminal actions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a member of a pharmaceutical company’s research committee.
- Consulted with clients concerning transactions between medical institutions and suppliers of products and services.
- Advised on ingredient modification, label and advertisement reviews, product recalls, consumer claims processing, among others, in relation to nutritional supplements and cosmetics.
- Assisted in publicity activities to eliminate illegal products and acted as attorney in corresponding civil, administrative and criminal procedures.
- Advised on business-related legislation, including the Pharmaceutical Affairs Act and the Medical Care Act, upon the listing, restructuring and reorganization of companies engaged in pharmaceuticals, medical instruments and medical services.
- Investigated foreign legislation pertaining to cosmetics and food products, among others, through Baker McKenzie’s global network.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dai-ichi Tokyo Bar Association
- Japan (1959)
- Tokyo University (LL.B.) (1956)